Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:stumped:Hi all, well I have a few questions and thoughts about my wing?? I bought it from a friend who did not want to pay for storage for yet another winter and I paid premium price $4100.00 Dollars Cdn for her. She has 109,000kms on her now and I have removed the trunk and saddle bag chrome trim as it rattled alot and sounded as if it was grinding together while you were idling. Ther is one crack in the left saddlebag cover about two inches long that has been repaired other than that the bike is mint.

:shock:So here goes , I have back problems , six back surgeries and now on medical pension , anyways, I ride. Not for very long distances but day rides of four to five hundred miles are not out of reach as long as I feel good the morning of the ride. It can take up to three days after to get back to walking upright instead of dragging my knuckles on the ground, but it is well worth the recovery time to be able to ride.

:cool:Ok here is the point of this discussion. I have a 2006 KLR650 adventure or dual purpose bike as well as the wing. It is great for my type of riding and handles everything I need to do on a bike. The wing on the other hand is fantastic at one thing, HIGHWAY RUNNING!! Around town I have a hard time if I have to sit in the saddle and push the bike backwards, this is a big NO NO for my back. And as well the seating on the wing is stepped for passenger and rider so I can only move back so far before the end , so seating is static most of the time, which again is not good on the back. I have riden a friends Gl1000 that has been cafed or so to speak and find that it is alot more comfy and lighter than the interstate?? And corners are alot more fun (LOL):cooldj:

:?So the big question are these wings good for that type of set up, which I can convert myself, no labour cost only parts. Or is it a big waste of a wonderful bike to take it apart like that instead of looking for a stripped one already?

Winter is upon me and minus 30 degrees celcius with wind chill so I have time to consider until the snow goes and spring gets me back riding, but it may take a month or two to do the conversion and I do want to be riding instead of wrenching in the spring time. So plz let me know what you people think of this idea and wether i'm nuts to even think of taking this bike down?

Thanks Norman

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
imported post

I myself have a stripped, or 'naked' wing. It can be done, pretty easily too. The seat will be the biggest issue, you may have to order a custom one to get a flat seat.

If you do decide to ride naked, let me know. I have an '81, and I might be willing to take some of that annoying plastic off of your hands!

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Do you have the seat adjusted all the way back or forward :baffled:

You may want to up grade to a bike with a reverse if you can not swing the bike arround on the kickstand :action:

Them floor boards give me a whole lot more leg room but they can be in the way when pushing the bike, I sit when I push back. If that dont work I swing it arround on the kickstand :cooldevil:

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
imported post

I undressed a 81 that was originally a naked wing and some of the parts were hard to find. The headlight bucket and the rear grab rail were the toughest and the grab rails seem to go for a lot of money, I got lucky on mine. You could just leave the trunk mount on it though.
I learned to not get in a situation to need to push back. Also if it has floorboards they make pushing back rough.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

It's sad when decisions like that have to be made. May come to me soon, as I'm pushing 70 now.

PM sent

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
imported post

You got time to figure out what you need. You did pay a premium price for you Wing though. So make sure when you decide what to do, you'll want to keep the bike. Because if you modify it a lot, it won't be worth what it is as a stock GL1100.

We could talk, I'm a neighbor so to speak.

Jen:waving:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.