Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

I've recently acquired a 82 aspy that has some issues. First off the bike is in really great condition cosmetically and mechanically. She has 58,000 miles and has sat for the last 5 years in a garage under a tarp. The tank was filled with gas and stable was also added back then. I put a new battery in her and tried to start, but could not get the starter to turn over. Removed starter and did quick clean up on brushes and comm. and it worked but needs replacing. The weird thing is she wont run without the choke on and only if i rev the crap out of it; it misses at all rpm's as well. My thought is the gas/stable mixture is crap and not helping. Do I need to pull carbs and o-haul or just replace gas with fresh and see what happens?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Gas is bad. StaBil can only do so much. My 83 sat in a backyard for 6 years and the carbs were not only gummed up, but sediment from the tank had jammed the microfilter bowl inlet and prevented it from running right.

Time for a rebuild I'm afraid. Get the Randakk kit and do it right the first time.

By all means though, try some fresh gas and see what happens. You never know.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Get as much of the old gas out of the tank and drain the carbs from the bottom of the bowl then fill with fresh gas and half a can of seafoam. You can also pull the fuel line from the fuel pump and use it to fill the carb bowls with straight seafoam and then turn the motor over with the kill switch off to pull the seafoam through all the carb circuits. Let it set for a couple of days before attempting to start after draining the bowls again and letting them re-fill with gas. Run it like a scalded dog till the tank is almost empty.

Note: install new fuel filter before attempting the first start before doing the above.

You might get lucky like some others on here have been and not have to do a carb re-build yet.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Get as much of the old gas out of the tank and drain the carbs from the bottom of the bowl then fill with fresh gas and half a can of seafoam. You can also pull the fuel line from the fuel pump and use it to fill the carb bowls with straight seafoam and then turn the motor over with the kill switch off to pull the seafoam through all the carb circuits. Let it set for a couple of days before attempting to start after draining the bowls again and letting them re-fill with gas. Run it like a scalded dog till the tank is almost empty.

Note: install new fuel filter before attempting the first start before doing the above.

You might get lucky like some others on here have been and not have to do a carb re-build yet.
Aslo put new spark plugs in

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Whats the easiest way to get the gas out of the tank? Siphon? Is there a drain plug? I removed the line at the petcock but just a little came out...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.