Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just got this bike everything seems to work with the air suspension set up, the front is great in the 15 to 20 pound range, but even bouncing on the bike any where from 0 with the light on, to over 50 pounds in the rear, I can't make the rear suspension move. I pulled the bottoms of the shocks off to make sure the swing arm is free, and it is, I can move it up and down with just the effort to lift the weight of it. any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Jade

oh, and according to the stickers on the shocks they are progressive. looks like there is a 416 number. I hauled the bike home on a trailer, strapped down. could there be something inside the shock holding pressure? I did undo the lines going into the shock to make sure there was no pressure being held there.

thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

I would contact Progressive directly and ask what is going on. Have you tried airing them up manually with a pump?

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the shocks have been over-filled with too much fluid..............

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I am going to go pull a shock off now, and see what I can see. They do not bottom out, they are locked at full extension. If I understand the progressive set up, this does sound like a possible hydraulic lock. I will know more when I get one completely off and try to disassemble it.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Disconnect the air lines from the shocks. It could be that the pressure isn't being released from the shock when you lower the pressure. It's also possible the shocks were overfilled with oil. I had Progressive 416s on one of my 1100s and found them to be excellent as they were in my 1200 and my current 1500. The greatly increase the handling in the twisties. They are firmer than stock but not objectionally so. One other thing to check is make sure you have the right length shock. The 416 from an 1100 won't work right on a 1200 and vice versa. An overlength shock will make for a very hard ride. One quick check would be to disconnect the airline and see if oil will come out of the air connector when the bike's weight is on the rear wheel. With the airlines disconnected, hit the switch to add air to the rear shocks and see if oil blows out of the lines.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

that was one of the first things i checked, actually, was to pull the air line from the shock. I have torn them apart and i am supposing that they have been apart before, because the bushing under the seal was upside down. I got one side to work correctly, as in if only that side shock is on, then drop it off of the center stand it will almost completely collapse the rear suspension. but if i just leave the other side on, it is still rock solid. with the shock off an on the bench with a big lever, i can cycle the stiff one without the seal in it, and it will get free, but then it locks back up again. this is terribly frustrating. I don't really want to spend what like $400 to replace them.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

well, i have completely disassembled the one shock, and it is the dampening cartridge that is locking up. I guess I will have to buy some different shocks from somewhere. not a good first experience with the wing, hopefully it will get better.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Contact Progressive Suspension, I'm sure you can buy a new damping element. I've never heard of a 416 shock failing before. I think replacing the damper and seal would be the least expensive way to repair them.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I will call there technical line today, maybe they can tell me why this would have happened too. and they are the correct part for the 1100, 416-1622 13 inch shock.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

well, they don't have any idea what could have happened, and they have never heard of this happening, but for about $300 they can be fixed. Not hardly worth it to me. I have found a set of used stock shocks on the ebay that I picked up for $85 plus shipping. Hopefully they will work for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.