Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I own a 1980 with fairing and hard Hondaline side bags that open with the hinge at the bottom and swing out. A rear bumper group chromed is offered to me for the bike, but the bags on the 82 bike were of the top cover with the hinge at the front and the locking clasp at the rear. These bags open in the line of travel of the bike whereas mine open 90 degrees to the bike. The bumper came off a 1982 1100.

Question? The bumper group looks like it needs to go around the rear of the bike low enough to clear the bag doors. Will this type of bumper group fit being that the bags are of a different style?

The original bike with top cover did not interfere with the bumper but on my 1980 the side covers for the bags may interfere and not open. The bags come off the bike with a 90 degree swing down and with this new set of bumpers in the way it looks that there is no room to swing the bags out.

Has anyone tried installing bumpers on bikes with different style of bags?

Again I thank you for your input!

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Sounds likehe has the suitcase style honda line bags. Thinking it may not work but have the top openning bags on mine
Wilf

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

The bags trunk and fairing are all Hondaline as per the name within them, but they do open like a Vetter set that I had on a Suzuki.

To me it appears that the bumper set would be mounted very low to operate the bags. But there is a piece that mounts from the trunk that is attached to the rack that the trunk sits on.

The front of the bumper attaches to the crash bars ahead of the bags, so the crash bars are required to install these bumper(s) grouping but the crash bars are not part of the bumper. They have to be sought out.

It may be a real PITA to modify this 1980 Wing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Wilf, I think you are right, the owner has sent me dimensions that I will try to align to what I have but with the different style of bags I think the bumper surround will have to be mounted very low to the ground to allow bag access.

Thank you all for your comments and help!

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

think about how its going to look like, that kind of bumpers are usually mounted sorrounding the bottom of the saddlebags, if you mount yours lower to clear the opening of the bags may look kinda ugly

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Wow. That thing's as wide as an AMCPacer. :)

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

I saw this bike in the for sale wanted section.thought that might give him some ideas.Amc Pacer,that's pretty close.Or Gremlin.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

ssnova72, that is pretty close to the bag situation that I have but the bumper on that bike is far less bulky looking. The bumper I am looking at is very BUICK like with thicker looking metal work with similar lights set up.

William your right on with the look, maybe too much like a 4 x 4 with massive lights and a 8000 lb winch.

My trunk has been replaced with a bigger one that holds my helmet and has a brake bar light and signals ( LED )vs the Honda with no lights and a shallower box depth.

The bumper width is about 38-1/2", making parking in the garage the size of a trike, almost. The practicality of adding this bumper is looking less and less ideal.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

To bad you where so far away you could have had the one off mt 80 interestate before it ends up in the scrap pile
Wilf

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I have been looking within this medium and others but have found 1 set of bumpers that are made for an 1100 with different bags and the bumper set is too narrow to fit my bike. My bike is 6"-8" wider at the rear because of the bag style.

On the other hand I have an offer to buy a 1983 Aspencade for asking of $2K, about an 1-1/2 away with 130,000 km uncertified. I have to put the time and distance to check it out, then trailer it.

I know what to look for and check out but doing an inspection away from my garage in a strange place is going to be different.

The bike has original paint and of course is claimed to be excellent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.