Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I just pullled apart my frt forks on my 82 std. the forks have 2 springs in each tube a progressive and a shorter standard coil spring on top. Is this correct? The progressive springs I planned on installing are longer than the progressives that came out but quite a bit shorter than both of them that came out. What do I do now?

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Edit: .. see rodger's pic above..

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

will the new longer progressive spring work without the short upper spring

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
imported post

How much shorter are they? Are the springs below the top of the fork tube when installed or flush with them or above the top of the tube?
You may have to cut and unstall a short peice of pvc pipe, depending on how preload you want.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

they are about even with the top cap when slid into tube.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Those 2 piece spring setups are the OEM Honda springs. Just take them out and drop in the Progressive springs then refill fork oil per manual or 5.5 inches from the top of the tube with the cap off. You'll love the improvement in the ride.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Are the replacements just 1 spring, replacing 2 springs?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The original springs are two piece with a spacer between them. One is progressively wound while the other is a linear winding. The replacement Progressive springs are single springs that are progressively wound. Progressive used to recommend installing them with the close wound end downward to prevent noise in the forks on rough roads.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Well i finally finished. What a pain in the a**! I read thru the posts on the forum, then go outside and remove the brake calipers, tire and speedo cable from housing. Remove the fender and drain the legs of fluid. Even had a drain pan and caught almost all the fluid. Remove the lower bolt from the leg, that did come next right? Pop the dust seal off and remove the snap ring. Went to pull down on the first leg to pop the seal out and find out the leg is hiding quite a bit more fluid. Did not even come close to catching the fluid that came in the flood that ensued. Oh well i'll clean that later. drop down some rags over the mess and move to leg number two. When I removed the lower legs the lower bushing on the rod pulled out the bushing that is pressed into the lower leg housing, cool beans it helped the seal come out and I want to clean eveything up real well anyway. I set the lower legs to the side as I have to go get the seals and brake cleaner later. Well now it's time to swap out the springs, I remove the air fittings and hose from the caps loosen the upper pinch bolt and proceed to try to remove the upper caps. Handlebars in the way, remove handle bars and move to side. Okay remove the caps using crescent wrench. What do I need special tools for this is easy. Last thread on the cap and pop, the spring pressure shoots the cap somewhere along with about 27yrs worth of crap and emulsification. Well the bike did need to be washed anyway. Find cap lodged between frame and fairing. I will be more careful with the other side, it is only 11am. okay both sides off now what pressure those springs had. Turns out I had the older progressive springs already. I pull out both springs and lay beside my new pair of progressives. they are about 3"shorter than the other springs but they are heavier. I install one sping in the tube and try to install the cap. Well after many attempt's I find that I am not going to be able to install the caps with the tubes in position. After many minutes of cussing, I loosen the pinch bolts on the head and remove both upper tubes from the bike. Well no big deal I really couldn't get all the crud out of themin place anyway. trip to Autozone for brake cleaner and towels. Back to the house to clean up all components. I get everything cleaned up and now time to install the new springs and caps. Many minutes later I call my buddy Steve. To late in day to go ther today as I have to pick up my boy from Karate. Clean up mess and put tools away.
Day two:
I head out this morning to pick up the seals and maybe new wipers. Stop at both honda dealers in area neither have the wipers or seals in stock. No problem the old wipers are still in pretty good shape and I can go the hyd shop and pick up seals cheaper anyway. shop one does not have refers me back to dealer. Shop two does not have. well ****!!! this is not going as planned. Okay no problem I can go to Steve's house and have him help me with the reassembly of the upper tubes. Order in the seals and complete the job tomorrow on the bike right.
Now Steve and I have been freinds for years. He has a machine shop at his house and rebuilds hydraulic cylinders and such for a living. i get to his place and we sum up the job. I start cleaning everything up in his parts washer and air dry. Place cap for upper tube in vise and very easily thread back onto tube with new spring installed. I'm feeling pretty good now, Steve has measured the rod and the housing and discovered he has seals that will fit. This is the stuff, I put the lower bushing back on the tube. The upper bushing I press into the housing. We go to install the tube into the lower housing and find out it does not fit. The upper bushing is compressed in its bore in the lower housing. But the bushing that mounts at the bottom of the tube will not go thru it. Okay get a grip, just remove the bushing from its bore in the lower housing and we can slide the tube into housing and slide the upper bushing down the tube and drive into place. Oh one problem, getting the bushing out of the housing without destrying it. Special tool number one custom made slide hammer(30 minutes) later the upper bushing is out without damage. Now to assemble, put the tube in the housing and slide the upper bushing down the tube to it's bore. now to drive it down without damage. Custom tool number two(45 min)made from an old hyd piston slides down tube and captures bushing to drive without damage into the bore. man it is nice having a machinist as a buddy. Well then steve looks at the hodge podge of spacers, back up ring, and original seal and decides we need one piece spacer and new snap rings to go with the new seals. Custom made spacers (20 min) and new snap rings. Time to assemble FINALLY! It takes all of 5 minutes to assemble both legs another 15 minutes cleaning up the mess I made in his shop and the job is finally done, except of course to install them and put the bike together. I had a great time on day two with my buddy, but I would not do this again. To anyone who is thinking this is a 45 minute operation, think again. I hope you get a kick out of my story, dad sure did. I never have learned to read instructions. He says I do things the hard way. I would hate to disappoint him.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

"Place cap for upper tube in vise and very easily thread back onto tube with new spring installed."

That one line is worth more than the rest of the entire post. At least for me.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Glad something useful came out of my antics.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

I thought you would get a kick out of it pop.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
"Place cap for upper tube in vise and very easily thread back onto tube with new spring installed."

That one line is worth more than the rest of the entire post. At least for me.
Thats how I did mine, worked a charm.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

I always read the posts that would save me time the day after I complete the project.
:?

I did my 83 forks today and ran into some of the same things. When I finally got the left drain screw loose with the help of a broom handle down the tube and an impact wrench (found that on the site) I drained the fluid into a coffee can, then gave the lower a good hard slap down to pull the seal. It came out on the first pull and the lower hit the coffee can covering me and half of the shop with the oil that I had drained. I used a 11/4 " pvc coupling and a foot long piece of 1 1/2' pcv pipe as the seal installer, worked great. As for the springs, your right they stood 3"s above the fork tops. I used an 1 3/16 socket and a 8" extension to push them down an thread them in. What I would have given to know the vise idea. Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.