Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i hope maybe someone can tell me my problem. I have a 1982 GL 1100 that i just put new timing belt, water pump, thermastate and temputure sensor on and new spark plugs and oil and filter. The problem I have found is i noticed that when I started the bike i notice blue smoke coming out of the left tail pipe. the bike has been sitting on the center stand the whole time, could it be a valve not sealing, can someone give me another place to start. the bike has about 62,000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Sure sounds like the left side oil seep past the rings..if it goes away after a few minutes of running. You could try leaning it to the right..after a ride..shove some wood under the right side and tilt it over...if no smoke then you are sure..if still smokes..over fill with oil? bad rings that when hot seal better..valve seals same thing???

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Depends on how much smoke you are talking about. Small amount or fill the backyard into the neighborhood?

Has your bike had a long period of no use? Might be valve guide seals or might be stuck rings.
Rings - you can spray in PB Blaster into the cylinders, let it set a couple days, then crank over by hand with the stator bolt a few times, righty tighty only! Spray in some more, repeat several times over a week or two. This will free up the rings if that is your case.
If massive amounts of smoke, are the head gaskets leaking antifreeze? You will see that in long term sitting too. Pull the plugs and inspect for wetness. If this is the case, it will be hard starting at some point as you will have hydrolock conditions, and that will need immediate attention or you can bend a rod or valves as the liquid will not compress as vaporized fuel/air mixture does.
Report back here with a reply what you end up doing to fix it, that will help others later that use the forum search tool at the top of the forum tool bar. That's what this forum is about, to help each other out as we learn then pass it on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help, yes it is a small amount, the bike had set up for about two years but i have been riding it for a couple of month with no problem, I may have overfill the crank case i will double check that, this only started after i change waterpump and other things. There is no antifreeze in the crank case. I will do some checking this weekend

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Check the oil level with the bike on the center stand. Oil level should be between the two lines when warmed up.,,

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Valve guide seals, small amount of blue smoke that disappears in a few minutes. Takes a Saturday to remedy if you get tire of the smoke, remember that is oil burning so keep an eye on oil level. I don't know if burning oil in the cylinder at start-up will have much of effect on spark plugs or exhaust valve sealing, but I have thought about it. Needless to say my 81 does the same thing. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.