Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi i just purchased an 82 gl 1100 it had been sitting many years. previous owner traded it in to local shop, they cleaned gas tank out, put a battery in and sold it "as is " it starts up ok with the choke on just a little, have to play with throttle until it warms up a couple mins.. it will idle fine, runs great, has all kinds of power, but in between shifts , it don't idle down very fast, so motor revs . I'm guessing it's the carbs, just hoping I dont have to take them off...HELP !!!

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Guess what? The carbs probably gotta come off. If I can do it, you can too.

Others may disagree but I found removing the left side metal pan on the fairing helps in removing the carbs.I slide the carbs to the left.

The guy upped the rpm to compensate for the clogged slow jets. The rpms won't let the carb slides go down for idle. Clean those jets and and you will have a different bike.

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

Amazing it runs and idles after sitting that long. Either the carb throttle shafts are sticking or they are just out of synch.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Hopefully the brakes aren`t seized up, and the cam belts have been changed recently. With a little maintenece work, you should have a great bike.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thank you...I thought that would be the answer..:sadguy:I worked on an 1100 a few years ago, took the carbs off and completely disassembled them..wow what a pain in the a$$, do you think I need to take them all apart , or just the bowls, sliders , and jets. and make sure all the passage ways are clean ??? all so the light for the rear air shocks is on, you think I will get lucky and just have to put air in them, or do the shocks get dry rotted from sitting ??

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Hopefully the brakes aren`t seized up, and the cam belts have been changed recently. With a little maintenece work, you should have a great bike.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

yeah, the rear calipers seem to be, I have a good pedel, but no matter hah hard I push it hardly slows the bike down...I'll mess with it when I put a new tire on..

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

717garhar wrote:
Thank you...I thought that would be the answer..:sadguy:I worked on an 1100 a few years ago, took the carbs off and completely disassembled them..wow what a pain in the a$$, do you think I need to take them all apart , or just the bowls, sliders , and jets. and make sure all the passage ways are clean ??? all so the light for the rear air shocks is on, you think I will get lucky and just have to put air in them, or do the shocks get dry rotted from sitting ??
You would just have to take the bowls off to assess the situation of whether you need to go farther or not. Since it does run they are probably not too bad.
Not surprised the rear shocks may have lost pressure. Air them up and see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.