Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've had the Carb assy off and took off all the bowls to get out all the crap, and cleaned all the holes, orifices, and voids. Took the tops off and cleaned the inside of that, but it acts like it's starving when I get to that certain demand. I knew I needed to sync the carbs so I did with the Sync Pro, but it just doesn't want to get through that stumble area. If I back off some on the throttle it will catch up it, but as soon as I get back into it, it's like it's being governed. Yes I've put Sea Foam in the Tank, and by the way, my Mr. Hyde is johnnynogood.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Sounds like fuel starved..recheck your floats, your fuel filter and the fuel pump output. If it only happens at high demand one of those is the likely source.

My guess is floats as that's what you've fooled with..assuming it was running OK before you had the carbs apart..if they are off as little as 1mmm it effects high demand times.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

Can you wind the old girl out...8,000 in each gear? What I'm getting at is this a fuel delivery problem or a mixture problem at a certain engine/air speed situation.
Oldboy

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Float level. Check your plugs, one of mine was black indicating a rich condition. Once I leveled all four out, it runs normally. It was bogging/stuttering really bad before that.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Sounds like I'm gonna pull the carb assy. again. When I hit the lottery I'm gonna open a topless mechanic shop so jobs like this would be something to look forward too. Hey honey, could you pick up that O ring over there. Yeah that's it.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I don' t have the special tool that clymer is calling for, I guess I just measure from where the bowl mounts against to the bottom of the float. Clymer Supplement says .61 inches (15.5 mm). Reckon I should wear my cheaters. Anyone gonna be around tomorrow from 9:00 central time, to 1:30 p.m. ?

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

If you win the lottery you won't have to worry about doing these kind of jobs! LOL If your bike is an 82 it's got 4 rubber air cutoff valves. One on each carb. Sometimes one of those will get curled up or gets a hole in it and no longer work. They are mounted on the side of each carb.
Later Rumple

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I found it. When I was cleaning all the holes on the primary and secondary nozzles, I didn't run them down all the way, maybe two threads. I wanna thank RB for the Randaak info. The pictures were outstanding as well as the literature. The picture in the Clymer Manual for measing Float Height is a joke. I couldn't understand the reference to use. Anyway, after taking care of those nozzles, I put it back together and man do I have power. Before it was like a dog chained up in the middle of the yard. See you floats in the bowl.

John

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

I'm having a similar problem with my 82 gl100; rebuilt the carbs and number 2 cylinder runs rich, and has similar symptons above. Any comments appreciated

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.