Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1982 gl1100 Vetter Bags
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to replace my mufflers on my bike any I am looking for suggestions on some inexpensive replacements that will give me the correct back pressure and compression
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Musical instrument

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,390 Posts
A lot of people use Harley take-offs. They're cheap but may be a challenge to adapt.

There are new aftermarket units available and I've seen decent used OEM sets on eBay.

·
Administrator
28,067 Posts
Sportster mufflers work real well but you have to weld some dogleg pieces to the headers to make them fit. I have made a few different exhaust systems for 1100s and proper back pressure doesn't seem to be a concern. 1 with Sportster mufflers, one with some mufflers someone gave me that looked like CB750s, 1 with straight pipes with washers welded in them, 1 4 into 1 with a small glasspack. They all ran just fine.

Reactions: LeoK

·
Registered
1982 gl1100 Vetter Bags
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sportster mufflers work real well but you have to weld some dogleg pieces to the headers to make them fit. I have made a few different exhaust systems for 1100s and proper back pressure doesn't seem to be a concern. 1 with sportster muffles, one with some mufflers someone gave me that looked like CB750s, 1 with straight pipes with washers welded in them, 1 4 into 1 with a small glasspack. They all ran just fine.
Any peticular brand, type, or year muffler or will any of them work?

and thank you

·
Administrator
28,067 Posts
Sportster as in harley davidson. As far as I know they have been the same just about forever.

Reactions: LeoK

·
Registered
19 Posts
looking to replace my mufflers on my bike any I am looking for suggestions on some inexpensive replacements that will give me the correct back pressure and compression View attachment 327217
I`m running `85 style H-D Sportster mufflers on my `82 Standard, have been for ten years now. I had to have two exhaust pipe adapters (NAPA auto parts store) welded to the headers and the mufflers slipped right on. I did have to use H-D clamps, $15 bucks each. And i was able to use the Honda hangers to boot! They`re quiet around town and i really don't hear them at highway speed. As a matter of fact just two days ago i was given a set of Vance and Hines sportster mufflers( exact duplicates right down to the factory markings), i`m going to replace that 50 lb Honda contraption with them on my newly acquired `86 1200 interstate. Does anyone know; does V&N make all of H-D mufflers?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts