Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
C'roam
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I need to replace the fluidreservoir "oil cup" on the front brakeof my 82 Interstate.

Looking through the Clymer manual yeilded no help (no surprise there)

Anyone with a drawing/pic/or diagram that could post it for me would be of great help, thanks

Phil

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
imported post

Phil,

There is a free Honda '75 to '83 GL1000/GL1100 Clymer Service Manual available.

It showseverything you need to do your brake work and anything else you might need to do.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Phil,

Once you take out the two screws that hold the top down on the reservoir (the cap), you need only twist and gently pry the old "cup" off the metal MC.

There is a large O-ring around the base of the "cup" that holds it in place. The old brake fluid will have gotten grainy like sugar water and help keep it stuck in place.

Keep working it. It will come off.

Your new "cup" will have come with a new O-ring. Make sure you clean the grove VERY well on the metal base of the MC before the new parts are replaced.

It's a great time to take apart and clean the whole MC. Keep that little hole (return port) clean!!

Tim.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Phil C,

Soooo.... How'd ya make out? :?

Tim.

·
C'roam
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Uhhh, good question..only I havent tried to remove it yet.
I ordered some steel braided lines and when they arrive I will try to tackle it so as to replace the lines at the same time.
Ya know, I was trying to remove the same reservoir from an 81 CB650 earlier this Summer and I tried wiggling, pulling and such and it wouldnt budge. I didnt get too forceful as I thought I might break something.
When I remove the GL reservoir I will give the wiggle and pull/pry method another go.
Thanks
Phil

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Phil,

Glad to see that you're going with the SS lines. Their wonderful!

When I did my brake overhaul a few years ago I replace them as well. They make a world of difference. Once you get the air bled out of them they become nice and firm. No more sponginess. My brakes worked fine before but now they are excellent.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

I have an 82 Goldwing and have noticed some leaking around the front brake reservior. Is it most likely just a matter of replacing the o ring under the reservior. Brakes work great otherwise. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Breynolds,

Happy Independence Day to you and welcome to the best Goldwing board around.

More than likely it is NOT the o-ring but a crack in the plastic reservoir. Usually the only time the o-ring would leak is when it would have been damaged. These bikes are getting on up there in years and crack and weathered plastics are starting to become issues.

I would order in a new reservoir before you start to remove the old. You may end up with a bunch of broken and shattered reservoir parts in your hand when you go to remove it.

Good Luck!

Tim

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
imported post

I had to wedge two large screwdrivers under the reservoir to pry it up when my brakes took a vacation.

I have a new replacement reservoir but I haven't put it on yet.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

PM sent

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

Phil C wrote:
I need to replace the fluidreservoir "oil cup" on the front brakeof my 82 Interstate.

Looking through the Clymer manual yeilded no help (no surprise there)

Anyone with a drawing/pic/or diagram that could post it for me would be of great help, thanks

Phil
/www.goldwingdocs.com/Manuals check here

·
C'roam
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

WOW,
Almost a year has passed since I first started working on this old Wing. My 50+hour work weeks have made it really tough to spend quality time refurbishing my Goldwing. Thanks to everyone on this site for your guidance and help. There is plenty more to do.
The reservoir on the handlebar needed a LOT of coaxing and wiggling to be removed but I did get it off (without shattering it) and installed the new one about 4 months ago. Shame that the "Official Clymer Repair Manual" was of no help what so ever in the process. Removing something as common as the fluid reservoir should be WELL DETAILED in the "official" manuals.
It seems that there is a serious lack of printed knowledge/instruction when it comes to OLD bikes and OLD parts that may need persuasion in the removal process, every
instruction seems to assume that all fasteners are alike and free of corrosion. WRONG!
For numbers/charts/stats the manuals are fine, but to explain HOW to remove/install components, there needs to be another source. Not to mention those 30 year old, terrible quality photos! Thank goodness for the efforts of individual contributors and their great pics/vids and step by step instructions.
Thank you one and all!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Just replaced the O ring on my front master cylinder reservoir using info I got from this post and all's well. Thanks for the info guys!

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Just replaced the O ring on my front master cylinder reservoir using info I got from this post and all's well. Thanks for the info guys!
Glad we could help! Welcome to the Forums BTW.

You will find a ton on great info here. If you can't find something particular, just ask. Someone will have had the same problem I'm sure!

Tim.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.