Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just purchased this 1982 GL1100 with 8,700 actual miles. I put new plugs in. It ran great. I took it out for a ride, it warmed up then started an annoying miss and after 100 miles all 4 plugs are shot. They are sooted up and look like I am burning fuel oil. Has anyone "been there, done that"? It starts good, runs great, gets warm, starts annoying miss and 100 miles later the plugs are shot.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,948 Posts
imported post

I just spent 20 minutes writing a response to your post. Verbosity is an atrocity.:action:

Now I will try again. Congratulations on your new bike! I hope you get to enyoy it as much as I have mine.

Now if you've already done all of this, please skip to the last paragraph.:cheeky1:

Before you rode this bike for the first time, did you change the oil, drain any old gas, flushed the cooling system, made sure you had the right air pressures front and rear, and so on and so forth. I'm not being a smarta$$ but after I bought a very nice '83 Interstate with 32000 miles on it last year, I've learned a TON about what it's like to own a Classic bike. Mine was ridden a little over 1600 miles a year. And boy was it gummed up.

Your engine probably needs cleaned top to bottom as it sat for so long sludge is likely. Hopefully, you did change the oil and filter because the oil that was left in it after 23 years has broken down toa point and probably got a bit of moisture in it.

As far as your plugs fouling, might be a carb. problem, maybe seepage past the rings as they might be stuck after sitting so long.

Don't despair. There's nothing that can't be solved with patience, time and cold hard cash.

Hobie
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

JAKE wrote:
I just purchased this 1982 GL1100 with 8,700 actual miles. I put new plugs in. It ran great. I took it out for a ride, it warmed up then started an annoying miss and after 100 miles all 4 plugs are shot. They are sooted up and look like I am burning fuel oil. Has anyone "been there, done that"? It starts good, runs great, gets warm, starts annoying miss and 100 miles later the plugs are shot.
I'd suspect some carbs that need some serious cleaning.
 

·
The Irish Crew
Joined
·
3,932 Posts
imported post

Cars is definitely where I'd be looking first. I doubt if it's faulty ignition coils, I mean whats the chance of the two going out together?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
636 Posts
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
Cars is definitely where I'd be looking first. I doubt if it's faulty ignition coils, I mean whats the chance of the two going out together?
Don't you just hate those cars?

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

Graham B wrote:
FitzAl wrote:
Cars is definitely where I'd be looking first. I doubt if it's faulty ignition coils, I mean whats the chance of the two going out together?
Don't you just hate those cars?

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
Especially when they're pluggend up with dirt!:goofygrin:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
imported post

JAKE wrote:
I just purchased this 1982 GL1100 with 8,700 actual miles. I put new plugs in. It ran great. I took it out for a ride, it warmed up then started an annoying miss and after 100 miles all 4 plugs are shot. They are sooted up and look like I am burning fuel oil. Has anyone "been there, done that"? It starts good, runs great, gets warm, starts annoying miss and 100 miles later the plugs are shot.

Jake, start with the basics.. Make sure you don't have a mouse or bee's nest in the air cleaner or intake tract. A plugged air intake or air filter will really foul plugs quickly.

If the intake and air filter are in good shape then make sure the engine oil isn't full of raw fuel (give it a good sniff or better yet a change). Any gasoline in the crankcase will work it's way up past the rings when the engine gets hot and again foul the spark plugs.

If all OK so far pull all 4 spark plugs and find some old (known good) spark plugs (they don't have to be for your bike).. Open the plug gap to 3/16" (use a 3/16" drill bit as a gap gage). Then install those plugs in all 4 wires and lay on the cyl head. Then crank the engine over (engine hot, ign ON). If you get a wimpy or yellow spark you have low coil voltage or failed coils or plug wires. If you get a nice snappy bluish spark your ignition system is probably good to go and you probably have carb problems.

Maybe just run the bike for a while as you could also have stuck piston rings causing an oiling problem in the combustion chamber.

Old fuel, diluted engine oil, weak spark, stuck rings, dry rotted valve seals, plugged intake, gummed up carbs, etc. could all cause a problem like yours.

Twisty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thank you for the quick replies....keep those cards and letters coming!!! I am looking at the carbs today and have a long weekend to do so. I also put some Sea Foam in and I am doing some of that basic cleaning stuff.This GL1100 is new to me....I have a 1977 Suzuki GS750, but this is the first cruiser I have owned. Thanks again guys.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

UPDATE:clapper:The bike is running in my garage beautifully---no misses, no pings--has a little blueish/white smoke from both exhausts. I have taken off the tank cover/glove box, also the seat, complete box and filter assembly. I was going to remove and rebuild the carbs, but I tried one more time and put 4 new spark plugs in and put it on a diet of 1 1/2 gallon of gas with 2 oz. Sea Foam. Now it is running so good I hate to touch it. The idle has come from 1000 RPM to warmed up 1500 RPM. I will change the oil and oil filter. Is there anything else I should check or do before putting it all back together to road test it......Thanks for all the help.....this forum is THE GREATEST.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
imported post

JAKE wrote:
UPDATE:clapper:The bike is running in my garage beautifully---no misses, no pings--has a little blueish/white smoke from both exhausts. I have taken off the tank cover/glove box, also the seat, complete box and filter assembly. I was going to remove and rebuild the carbs, but I tried one more time and put 4 new spark plugs in and put it on a diet of 1 1/2 gallon of gas with 2 oz. Sea Foam. Now it is running so good I hate to touch it. The idle has come from 1000 RPM to warmed up 1500 RPM. I will change the oil and oil filter. Is there anything else I should check or do before putting it all back together to road test it......Thanks for all the help.....this forum is THE GREATEST.
Jake, that blish/white smoke could very well just be the Sea Foam. That stuff will cause exhaust smoke at start-up and idle.



Twisty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,948 Posts
imported post

When every thing settles in, you might want to replace your timing belts. They're not very expensive and can be boughtlocally. If the timing belt should break, the engine will probably lock up and do substantial damage because the engine is a zero tolerance type and there is no clearance between the piston and the extended valve. Iknow how strongthe temptation isto go out and ride. But if you'll take the time, be willing to spend a little bit more cash, and have the patience to hang in there, you will have a great motorcycle.

i just finished updating my 83I, and I think I might keep this bike forever.

Hobie:11red:

May the farcebe wit you my children

doo dee doodah daaah
 

·
Senior Guru
Joined
·
2,234 Posts
imported post

Hi Jake, very happy to read that you bike is now running fine and I want to confirm that you are absolutely correct when you say this site is the greatest.

You know, I have never been a great believer in fuel or oil additives, but, I keep hearing stories of how that Seafoam stuff works miracles for many guys.

Maybe it's time to become flexible in my old ageand try it sometime. Where can a guy get this Seafoam stuff?

Vic
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
87 Posts
imported post

I just purchased a can and ran it in my 83 GL1100. Seem to have a little more power now and runs a little smoother. I purchased mine at O'Reilly Auto Parts, but also noticed several other places carried it as well.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/buy.htm



Billy
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Maybe it's time to become flexible in my old ageand try it sometime. Where can a guy get this Seafoam stuff?

Vic

Hey Vic, every once in a while a person just has to try a new 'miracle in a can'!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
636 Posts
imported post

Tried to get Seafoam here in the UK and even contacted the USA company who confirmed they don't export :X

Never mind. I guess I'll have to add it to my list of things to buy when I next go to Florida. :clapper:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Twisty and ALL,

Thanks for all the information and your quick response. Here is the UPDATE.

The bike ran in my garage for 1 1/2- 2 hours beautifully with idle to full range of power. I took it for a test ride and 7 miles down the road....a plug fouled out. So back to the garage.

There are no bees or mouse nest or damage. No plugged intake or air. I changed the oil and added 6 oz. Seafoamto it.

I don't believe it is suffering from weak or stuck rings. HOWEVER, I tried the spark plug trick opening the gap to 3/16" on a brand new plug.....NO SPARKand I checked theplug wires while running....you can hold on tothem anywhere. My problem seems to be in the coils. But which one? Ignition, pulse generator, or spark unit? Anyway to narrow it down?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
636 Posts
imported post

Back in 1982 (gosh! That long ago.), I had a problem with a GL1100 that developed a misfire when hot. Things got somewhat strained as I kept taking it back to the dealer and he kept giving it back to me saying there was nothing wrong.

Then one day it started to play around, I saw red and rode it some 15 miles to the dealer in second gear all the way to ensure it stayed hot.

He heard me coming and was outside as I arrived! A quick look at the bike revealed one of the inlet manifolds had a hairline crack which opened up with the heat. We went in for a coffee and when we came out there was no sight of it (the crack that is)!

Thankfully he remembered which one it was and did terrible things to it with a hammer. Might be worth having a look?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
imported post

JAKE wrote:
I tried the spark plug trick opening the gap to 3/16" on a brand new plug.....NO SPARKand I checked theplug wires while running....you can hold on tothem anywhere. My problem seems to be in the coils. But which one? Ignition, pulse generator, or spark unit? Anyway to narrow it down?
Jake, you could have anything from bad coils, to low coil voltage, to bad plug wires, to bad grounds, to bad points or pulse generator (depending on what you have).

If I were personally working on that low spark problem I would start by monitoring the coil's supply voltage both hot and cold. If voltage is good then check the coil's voltage drop to ground. If all found OK then check plug wiresand coil's themselves. With 2 coils they should match pretty close for both primary and secondary resistance (both hot and cold). Not sure what your coil's resistance should be but most coils are between 1-3 ohms primary and 10,000-30,000 ohms secondary.

Make sure when testing for a spark that the other plug wire for that coil is either grounded or has a plug hooked to it and that plug is also on laying on the cyl head. Remember one plug on a coil is the other plugs ground path so both must be there and touching ground to see a spark.



Twisty
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top