Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all....I am a new member to this forum but a long time owner of a 1982 GL1100A. I am looking for advice and recommendations. My Wing has been down since 2010 when I decided to do a carburator rebuild effort myself.

The bike will start and I can keep it running with the choke fully on, but I can never get it to idle on its own to allow me to begin the syncronizaton process.

I have put over 50 hours into this over time and recently gave up and purchased a used (non Wing) V-twin just so I can get some riding time in.

I want to continue working on the Wing and ultimately get it running again then plan out a restoration for it since it is by now a classic.

I am looking for any advice as to something I may have missed before I take the carbs out again and start over (for the 3rd time).

The current symptoms:
1). Runs at around 3000 rpm as long as I keep it choked and rev the throttle as needed
2). The back two cylinders never seem to get to full temperature (based on IR readings) which suggest the back cylinders 3 & 4 are not really hitting or only partially hitting.

What I have done:
1). I run the gas directly from a plastic tank external to the bike (in case mine has rust in it)
2). I replaced the fuel pump
3). I have checked out the whole ignition and am satisfied my spark and timing is ok - even replaced the coil pack with a replacement used pack (because the original had a crack in the plastic case). I re-baselined the performance after I put in the new used coils.
4). I have checked timing and valve clearences.
5). While it was running (at 3000 rpm with choke on) I have sprayed all intakes with cleaner to see if I have a vacuum leak - I do not appear to have a vacuum leak.
6). I have measured the temperature of the cylinders while it is running

After buying the new replacement bike I have come to appreciate the quality of the wing and would really like to restore it and get it running again.

Any ideas before I go back into the carbs......:?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Nope the carbs..could check the compression just to be sure..your valves/rings are not leaking..above 140 is ok in the 150's better, 160's great.

sounds like blocked idle jets did youi pull them and clean then out completely???

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Hi JTennar and welcome to the forum. Based on your description, I would say the idle circuits are still fouled. An '82 has threaded idle jets, pull them out and be sure they and the tiny tubes behind them are clean. The idle jet has six cross holes which are fairly easy to see and must be clean. It also has one hole in the center which is not easy to see if it is clogged.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
+1 on the idle jets. The small hole through the center of the jet must be clean, or it will never run at low RPMs. I learned this the hard way on my '82 as well. A small guitar string works well, along with some good carb cleaner spray.
Ride safe!
Darren

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.