Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My plastic throttle cable retainer inside the right hand grip broke and the pull cable had a bunch of slack. Then I saw the plastic broken when I pulled the handgrip off. I have a new one but I don't see how to get that sleeve out of the grip. Took the end cap off and still wont come loose. What's the trick??

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

the throttle tube is broken where the cables attach? If you are talking about the outer rubber part on the throttle tube, you have two choices, put a small screwdriver in the end of the grip and rotate it around between the rubber and the throttle tube, or use a razor knife and split the rubber. You need to take the switch housing off to replace the throttle tube. If you don't need to save the grip, just cut it off. Use the throttle adjustments to get enough slack to remove both cables.

·
Bringer of Shenanigans
1,031 Posts
imported post

johnnynogood,

You need to remove the black switch block that holds the starter button and kill switch. There are 3 screws on the bottom side. The block will separate and you can disconnect the throttle cables and slide the throttle tube off.

I just pulled my apart tonight. It isn't that hard.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

If you squirt a little oil/solvent under the grip it will move..pry up the edge use a spray can with a straw on it..

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hey guys. I've got the grip off. The problem is getting the plastic tube out. RB, should I put some oil between the plastic tube and the grip? The plastic chrome piece won't let go, just spins. It's all plastic and I don't want to break it.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

did you look at the link that tigger posted? the handgrip is likely glued to the plastic tube. sometimes you can get a thin screwdriver or something in there and work it loose, sometimes you just cut it off. did you say the tube is broken? if so, when you get a new tube, get some new grips at the same time if you can't work it off.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

tigger wrote:
johnnynogood,

You need to remove the black switch block that holds the starter button and kill switch. There are 3 screws on the bottom side. The block will separate and you can disconnect the throttle cables and slide the throttle tube off.

I just pulled my apart tonight. It isn't that hard.

If you have to remove this switch block, be extremely careful how you put it back on, make sure that the nipple and dimple between it and the handlebar is lined up and then tighten thescrews evenly and carefully, they do not have to be real tight if they are even, just tight enough for it not to twist on the handlebar.

A few years ago I had occasion to buy up just about every one available on ebay to replace one I'd busted, and that plastic does not take to superglue either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.