Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone, I really enjoy this forum Todays problem is My 1982 interstate the starter drags like the battery is low but it is not. The starter has been rebuilt, soleniod has been replaced and cable has been replaced. Anybody have any sugestions? does anyone know the wire locations on the soleniod? Thanks Mark

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

does the starter work fine when cold but "drag" when hot restarts are needed?

check the batttery and solenoid cables and/or clean

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

neoracer wrote:
does the starter work fine when cold but "drag" when hot restarts are needed?
That's a common issue, meaning your starter needs to be stripped down and cleaned, and possibly need new brushes too. There is a starter overhaul thread in the Reference forum that should help.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Did you clean the main ground connection behind the left triangle motor mount?

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
imported post

I had the same issue, tore down starter and rebuilt with instruction from this forum. Worked great for about 6 starts, then back to old issue. Bought a ebay starter rebuild kit for about $25 and that took care of it.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

GregForesi wrote:
Did you clean the main ground connection behind the left triangle motor mount?
starter needs good contact to the block as well

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Jump the starter from a car battery..if it's the same then starter issue if it cranks well then..system issue..wire, connector, solenoid..

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

Careful now! to be PC around here, a solenoid relay is now known as a "THINGAMAJIG"...:cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

chilidawg wrote:
Careful now! to be PC around here, a solenoid relay is now known as a "THINGAMAJIG"...:cheesygrin:
thats energized by the whatsit

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

bobalou wrote:
chilidawg wrote:
thats energized by the whatsit
Which is connected to the THINGAMAJIG through the doomahickey.:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

even though the starter was rebuilt if they used the wrong kind of brushes(material) it could carbon up very fast,if it was rebuilt locally i'd yank it out and take it back to the shop that did it

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Usually, when the starter brushes wear out they shed dust inside the starter. This dust is conductive and will cause the voltage, to ground itself. That can turn causes a sluggish action of the starter. If the brushes have been replaced, I would open it up again and clean it out with brake cleaner. Be careful installing the cable on the bolt. You have to be sure to hold back on the rear nut while tightening the outside nut. Good luck.,,

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

The 81-83 wing had a real problem with carboning up. If the shop that rebuilt it did not thoroughly clean it when they rebuilt it. It would work fine a few times then be sluggish again. I learned this the had way had one rebuilt and put it in then had to take it out and rebuilt it myself. I learned on my bikes if most shops aren't familiar with the old wings anymore so I try to do it myself.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

I'd give a fresh starter a go. I messed around with refreshing my starters then gave up and got a cheap new one and it started like a new bike.
Then wouldn't fire again after a mile which is a another thread many moons ago

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.