Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first time posting here. I just picked up a 1982 GL1100 from a guy who has had it sitting in his garage for a few years. I guess he had the head gasket go bad and took everything apart, but never put everything back together. Well in the process of reassembly, I noticed the lower left rocker bolt wouldn't tighten the entire way, I pulled it out and there were shavings all the way around the bolt. Now, I don't know if I cross-threaded it or the dude before me did, but that's where I'm at now. I got a helicoil kit, but I went to put it in last night and realized that the whole has the dowel pin in it, and I think the outer diameter of the helicoil might be larger than the outer diameter of the dowel, which would mean I would basically be tapping the dowel as well. I thought about removing the dowel and then tapping the head and installing the helicoil, and then installing a new dowel, but I'm not positive the dowel would ever seat properly again.

The only other thing I could think would be to just try to lock-tite the bolt before I put it in since it has a bit of grab and doesn't seem to pull out, and then just check it regularly. Somebody suggested using JB weld instead but it seems like that could get brittle and break up and get all over.

I'm not really excited about dropping another $50-100 on another head+new gasket, but if there's no good fix here, I'd rather do it right. Also, any thoughts on re-using the new head gasket if it's been torqued down but hasn't been actually run in the engine?

Thanks,
Adam

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
The head gasket should be OK to reuse..as to the hole..try the next size larger tap/bolt; will it fit the through the dowel? If so try tapping to it..and a SAE bolt size may work too..as the next size larger...

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mr. Trouble.:D

You can repair the threads without removing the head.

First remove the dowel, heat is your friend here as aluminum expands more than steal when heated. Don't worry if you massacre the dowel removing it as a new one is only about $1.50.

Install the camshaft cap and use it as a guide to drill the stripped hole, unfortunately you can't use the cap as a guide to tap for the insert.

Make sure the insert is no longer than the depth of thread and install it then the old or new dowel.

Thread insert kits can usually be rented. You'll have to pay for the kit up front but when returned you'll be reimbursed minus the rental fee and insert you used.

·
Administrator
28,096 Posts
I wouldn't worry as much about the dowel as I would about the bolt pulling out. There is a dowel on the other side of the cap that should align it well enough.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I wouldn't rebore and thread. The best way is to install a Helicoil. That makes for a stronger repair, especially in aluminum and allows the original size bolt to be used. The job can be done without removing the head.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, so far so good. I was able to remove the dowel without too much effort. I used the tap from the helicoil kit. I didn't drill the holy first since the head was soft and the most of the thread material was already removed. The helicoil installed easily and seems to be holding well. Unfortunately the dowel got a bit mangled on the way out, so I ordered a few more. They aren't even scheduled to ship until Tuesday, so now it's just a matter of waiting. Thanks again for the help and I'll post an update when the parts come in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.