·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1982 goldwing -- bought it w/ the engine seizedand did the following:

1. replaced starter, battery

2. had carb professionally cleaned & rebuilt

3. un-seized the engine (very carefully!)

The bike now turns over w/ no trouble, but will not start -- I have a good spark, but the bike does not even attempt to start.

I took off the timing belts, and put 'em back on -- is there a chance that I did that incorrectly? (i.e. backwards?) -- I followed the book, but the marks on the flywheel were a bit different than in the book --

Any advice on what to do next?

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

How about the wrong coil wire to the wrong plug? If the coils are firing the wrong cylinder that's the symptom.

A few people on here have been stung by that one.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

There are only a few things needed for an engine to operate. Fuel, air, spark, timing, exhaust.

Are the plugs wet? Checked the fuses yet?

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

clogged fuel filter, petcock off, kill switch off?? any of these simple things will give you trouble.

I redid my heads one winter and foudn taht I had the timing off by 180 degrees. no interferance and after a heck of a time it would start but not run well.

2what do you mean by th emarkings were off.
go to the faq forum and read up on belt changing, see if anything loks different from what ou did.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Go back to the beginning. The marks are the same. If you are seeing something different then its not right.

Cam pulleys have to have the word Up ( Up ) when the index mark on the pulley line up with the mark on the case & the motor is at T1. If it is in any other location than its wrong.

Once you've established that the belts are on properly, ( they should be changed but I understand you want to see if it runs before putting more money into it), if your plugs are not getting gas, open the drain screws & see if they are getting gas. You can also check the fuel pump by taking hose off that goes to carbs, put a longer hose on it & put in a container and look for a good solid flow.

Just go at it step by step. First though make sure cam belts are on properly. If you don't your going to spend some more money.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I'll check the wires -- thanks -- The wires were off the bike when I bought it -- hmmm.

thank again.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for all of the advice --

I did check all of the fuses, plugs are wet, and I have a good spark.

I will try the simple stuff (like make sure the wires are not crossed!!), then dive back into the timing belts.

Thanks again for the help!

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
imported post

i got the same prob with an old snowblower any tip's?:hallo:wrong wire will cause this or if you removed the coil wires , many thing's can give these sympton's, make a list from this form and check em off has you go..... is the choke cable working

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

throttle wide open for max air, kill switch on to kill spark, all plugs out, What is your compression?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.