Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good morning All

I got a new front tire for my 82 GL11000A it's a 120/90-18 which is what the owners manual says is the size. I have it mounted and have put 200 mile on it. I am wasing it yesterday and I noticed that on the tire it says REAR TIRE ONLY the shop that put it on said nothing it rides fine. Is this ok to leave on the front or should I buy a new tire.

Thanks for the advice

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

It won't hurt anything and probably outlast a front tire by about 50%. I am on about the 5th rear tire on the front of my 1800 and the only way I'll go back to a regular front tire is in an emergency.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Curious what's the difference in the same size tire if one marked rear only and one that is for the front???

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

RB wrote:
Curious what's the difference in the same size tire if one marked rear only and one that is for the front???
I'm wondering the same thing. After reading this, I had to go check the tire on my 1100A(that I just bought a month ago(the tire that is))... it specifically states on the tire "front tire only".

Its a Dunlop 491 EliteII MR90-18. Its the same tire I've always used, the last one went 20,000 miles.. I looked for more specific size on it, and couldn't find anything other then MR90-18.

The 120/90 is definately OK though, and close if not the same size as on my Wing...

The fact that its a rear tire...well... I don't know if I like that or not... Also to note that the front tire I have is a "4-ply"...which may be the diff from your "rear"front tire. The diff might be in the compound too... as the rear tire, being a drive tire, might have a different compound(which only stands to reason)...

The other theory is.. what is the make-up difference of a front vs. rear tire...as we know the front of the bike is subject to loads quite different from the rear, as in turning/leaning,.. so will that "rear tire' function as a "front" tire would under side-load/cornering.. maybe the sidewall is structured differently. Even though the tire you have on there will work as someone said, will it work as good or offer same tread wear and performance... I'm not saying either way, as I don't know, all I've used is fronts on fronts....

Dave0 had good experience with a "rear" on the front.. totally cool for sure..Now I'm curious andwould like more info on make-up, and the real diff in "front"vs."rear"... we only have 2 tires on these rigs.. I'd get all the info I could. :)

PS... Very good question!

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

The major difference between front and rear tires is tread pattern and a rear tire has usually 50% more tread on it. The reason for the direction arrow is to get the tread in the proper direction for best traction on wet surfaces. Some will say the belts are wrapped a certain way for direction, I say BS.
A funny thing I found on a Kawasaki I have is the rear tire was marked front ->. The tread pattern does not indicate a front tire and I have never seen a tire that big on the front of any motorcycle (150/80-16) I had a flat on it and replaced it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.