Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been given a 1984 gl1200 that has been harleyfied and seems to have alot of custom work done to it...
the rear shaft drive coupling (prop shaft joint?) is toast along with the spline gear on the final drive (joint pinion?).... after speaking with my local honda dealer, and showing them my swingarm and final drive, they believe the final drive and swing arm to be off of a 77 gl1000 (round flange on front of swingarm opposed to a square flange, (where meshing up with transmission) wondering if this is possible and what problems could it cause? should I just replace it with the coupling and joint pinion off of another 77 gl1000 or try to convert it back.... final drive has been laced on a harley rear wheel...
want to get this beauty on the road, any ideas?
anyone have parts for me?
should I replace the whole assembly or just the 2 parts?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
If it has the laced wheel on the back they may have put the early 1000 swing arm and final drive on to go to spokes and 16" rim. If you want to keep that look then you will have to find a local parts breaker or someone on line that will send you lots of pics to be sure you get the correct final drive and the U-joint"(prop shaft joint?)" or the drive shaft?

1977 parts fiche
http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_s...=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1977&fveh=131059
http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_s...=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1977&fveh=131059

·
Large Member
788 Posts
you Really have a frankenbike. First of all an 82 is an 1100, originally. So if I get it right you have an 82 frame with a 1200, which is 84-87, with a 77 swingarm and final with a harley rear wheel assembly. :shock: I'm begging out of this one... no idea where to even begin. :wtf:

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
Some photo's would really help!

Pictures of the motor/frame interaction, as well as right side of swing arm, drive & wheel.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, so after closer inspection the frame and motor are a 1984 1200, the rear wheel is a 16" spoked wheel, the swing arm has the round flange where it joins with the transmission .... local dealer ship matched it up with a 77 gl1000

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
What kid of moron would lace a Harley rim onto a GL hub?

Personally I think your best bet would be to snag a complete GL1200 rear end from a parts bike and get rid of that cobbled up mess it came with.

The 84 had linked brakes, the 77 did not. with that smaller wheel your rpms are going to be higher than they should be which will have a negative impact on fuel mileage. Chasing random parts for the rear end when things inevitably wear out is going to be a perpetual headache.

It just sounds like a nightmare. 42 year old parts are going to be hard to find and worn out when you do find them.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Ok now I get it....they did it for the white walls. That is not the original front end at all either. Boy you sure got a mess there.

If you want to keep it in that configuration (although no sane person would) your best bet might be to try to find a complete 77, for parts. I have no idea what that triple tree is off of but it is not from a 77 Wing that much I can tell you for sure. So now yer lookin at two parts bikes (once you identify the source of the triple tree and forks).

It's interesting that's for sure.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Looks to me a '77 GL-donor was in the mix.
Looks like a '77 GL front-end except that it does look like a HD rim. GL forks and brakes. Drilled rotors. Wider trees to accomodate that wider tire. Are the front rotors spaced out?
Looks like '77 Side panels as well.
May very well be a HD rim in the back, ..to match the front.
Those saddle tanks are nice. Still have the factory tank as well?
Somebody wanted a Hot-Rod. Not saying they got it, but that '77 rear is going to give something more off the line.

Edit: on second look, I see the stock tank still has fuel line running towards the rack and that the left saddle tank has no petcock. Still an interesting bike.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Looks to me a '77 GL-donor was in the mix.
Looks like a '77 GL front-end except that it does look like a HD rim. GL forks and brakes. Drilled rotors. Wider trees to accomodate that wider tire. Are the front rotors spaced out?
Looks like '77 Side panels as well.
May very well be a HD rim in the back, ..to match the front.
Those saddle tanks are nice. Still have the factory tank as well?
Somebody wanted a Hot-Rod. Not saying they got it, but that '77 rear is going to give something more off the line.

That is definitely not a '77 GL front end.

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
I know squat about this but if it helps I'm parting a 1979 GL 1000 and have the complete final drive, shaft, swing arm …...

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The fuel tank you see is actually not a fuel tank, it houses all the goldwing electronics, the fuel tank is under the seat....
As for off the line, my brother had the bike before it crapped out and supposedly it rode like a dream and had endless pull.... I do want to keep the setup as is, just need to track down a 77 gl1000 swingarm w/ all the shaft drive etc... the final drive is still good, just needs the pinion gear...

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
what condition is the swingarm /pinions/ shaft drive in?
how much would you want for everything from the spline on the transmission back to the pinion gear on the final drive?
and where are you located,
thanks
cody

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
I have been given a 1982 gl1200 that has been harleyfied and seems to have alot of custom work done to it...

Why, did you piss somebody off or something??? lol :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Just get another drive shaft and ride it. If the PO hooked up a 77 swing arm and shaft, he probably changed the out put shaft in the back cover. Motor will have to come out to swap the 1200 output shaft back in. If he had a custom shaft made, you're in a different situation. Check out the Bgirl build at the top of the page. You will have to figure out what setup you have. Pics will help.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Just looking at the front end, the speedo cable is on the left like 78-79 Goldwings. Love to see more pics of it. It looks like someone put a lot of time into it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.