Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I am new to this page and was wondering if I could get some help. My goldwing is having a problem starting. I put a brand new starter in and starter solenoid. The problem I am having is when the bike is started, the starter does not disengage. I have tried disconnecting the starter button completely, I have even disconnected the starter directly and it still spins. If I turn the bike off the starter turns off as well. My only problem is that it doesn't disengage when the bike is running. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Magic Moderator
4,723 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Where did you get the starter solenoid from? It sound like the ones that come from China and are made incorrectly.
You can never go wrong with am OEM one.

·
Administrator
27,122 Posts
If you are sure the starter is still turning even if you disconnect it the start clutch would have to be stuck. The engine would have to come out to fix it.

Reactions: siouxindian

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,999 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Plenty of good info here.
Make sure you describe the problem clearly as it will help them solve the issue.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Isn't the Bendix drive/clutch part of the starter? Sounds like it's sticking. This can happen even on a new starter. The fact that it's spinning with the starter wires disconnected would tend to point to a stuck Bendix drive.

Rayjoe

·
Registered
538 Posts
Nope, there is no bendix.
The starter drives a sprag clutch on the back of the generator rotor via a chain

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Where did you get the starter solenoid from? It sound like the ones that come from China and are made incorrectly.
You can never go wrong with am OEM one.
I bought mine off of Amazon. I have bypassed the solenoid and same issue

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are sure the starter is still turning even if you disconnect it the start clutch would have to be stuck. The engine would have to come out to fix it.
Damn that sucks im going to look into it thank you very much

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Damn that sucks im going to look into it thank you very much
Just to be sure, Dave is absolutely right if you are taking the cable off the starter and the starter is still spinning.
I assume you still have your old starter. Before I went through a lot of work I would take the end cap off the starter after it was installed on the bike. Now turn the armature shaft in the opposite directions than normal with a vice grip etc. This might rotate the sprague's rollers out of a locked position. This "repair". might work forever or it could lock back up the next time you try to start it??????

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate the advice. I was thinking about there maybe not being enough oil in the bike. Would that affect it?

·
Registered
1998 GL1500se . . . 2003 VTX1800R
38 Posts
Just to be sure, Dave is absolutely right if you are taking the cable off the starter and the starter is still spinning.
I assume you still have your old starter. Before I went through a lot of work I would take the end cap off the starter after it was installed on the bike. Now turn the armature shaft in the opposite directions than normal with a vice grip etc. This might rotate the sprague's rollers out of a locked position. This "repair". might work forever or it could lock back up the next time you try to start it??????
--- Asking for my info and the OP: After trying this would it be worth the OP doing seafoam in the oil etc to be sure that the sprague clutch gets cleaned out? I have read that in several posts when looking for info about starter and gears etc.

Thanks,

Reactions: limpy45

·
Administrator
27,122 Posts
--- Asking for my info and the OP: After trying this would it be worth the OP doing seafoam in the oil etc to be sure that the sprague clutch gets cleaned out? I have read that in several posts when looking for info about starter and gears etc.

Thanks,
I have never seen or heard of a start clutch locking up so no idea if that would help. The usual problem is the roller clutch slips.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I appreciate the advice. I was thinking about there maybe not being enough oil in the bike. Would that affect it?
Not short term for sure but long term and very very low maybe but I think there would be other more serious issues if it was that low on oil. I really doubt.
We are right when we assume the starter is spinning with the cable disconnected at the starter???? That would have to mean a jammed over running clutch. Let us know if we are right to assume.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi guys, I am wondering if my starter clutch would be stuck because of my oil. I just recently did my oil change and it was very milky oil. Seemed to me like there was water in the oil. Do you think if I put new oil in, it will fix my starter clutch problem? Or should I just rebuild the starter clutch anyway? I have a 1982 Honda goldwing interstate gl1100 thanks guys

·
Registered
538 Posts
Milky oil is a sign of water which could be headgasket(s) once corrosion has started in the sprag clutch the only answer is strip and check which, unfortunately, means engine out and rear casing off plus generator rotor

·
Administrator
27,122 Posts
Hi guys, I am wondering if my starter clutch would be stuck because of my oil. I just recently did my oil change and it was very milky oil. Seemed to me like there was water in the oil. Do you think if I put new oil in, it will fix my starter clutch problem? Or should I just rebuild the starter clutch anyway? I have a 1982 Honda goldwing interstate gl1100 thanks guys
Please do not start a new thread on the same subject.
If the water was in it long enough for it to rust the starter clutch maybe.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts

Thanks,
Kind of different situation. Seafoam is usually used to clean sludge from the clutch so the starter engages. Not sure if it would help here or not.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
That is a fairly big job to repair. Did the bike get rain/snow in the oil that caused the issue or head gasket your best guess? The way a sprague works is that the rollers freewheel in one direction. In the other direction the hole is sort of wedge shaped and the rollers will jam in the slot to engage. It sound like your rollers are stuck in the wedge. That is why I suggest if you can come up with a way to turn the sprocket backwards and therefore the sprague backwards. That might dislodge the rollers. New oil and fix the water issue you might be good to go???????

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am going to replace all the seals in motor and rebuild starter clutch and let you guys know thank you

1 - 20 of 29 Posts