Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1982 GL1100 Goldwing Interstate witha on-board air compressor that is not working.The shop does not seem to be able to pin-point the problem other than to say it dosn't work.My question,is there a resonably inexpensive solution to this and /or will a compressor unit out of a GL1200work as a replacement.

Thank You in advance

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Truckey wrote:
I have a 1982 GL1100 Goldwing Interstate witha on-board air compressor that is not working.The shop does not seem to be able to pin-point the problem other than to say it dosn't work.My question,is there a resonably inexpensive solution to this and /or will a compressor unit out of a GL1200work as a replacement.

Thank You in advance
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet Truckey!:waving::waving:

I'm a little confused on this one, the Interstate model doesn't have a compressor! Are you sure your bike is an Interstate?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The bike is definately an Interstate as atested to by its markings and is registered as a1982 there is a light in the speedometer housing to show air pressure to the rear suspension. The bike is new to me as i am to the Goldwings and i hope i am indicating the problem properly. The bike is at present time in the shop which is located some miles from here so i am unableto give a more detailed description at the present time. I appreaciate your response and if further info is required please let me know.Thank You

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

That's a new one on me! Maybe some of the guys can shed some light on this one!

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I have done some digging and have come up with this paragraph from a Honda info site. My bike has these other features besides the on-board air.It does not however have the Aspencade Badges.I now beleive someone previous has added some add-ons from an Interstatecontributing to the confusion. I hope this helps.

Thanks Again

[1982
For '82, Honda adds a third model to the GL line, the even more luxurious Aspencade. The Interstate model offers such options as a new Type II stereo, a 40-channel CB transceiver, and an on-board air compressor. All of these items are standard on the Aspencade, as are storage pouches in the passenger backrest, two-tone paint and seat, and special edition Aspencade badges. All models also sport twin-piston front brake calipers and wider tires. ]

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

The clarion II radio and HondaLine air compressor could be added to the Interstate. They are both shown in the 1982 GoldWing Interstate sales brochure. I added the radio and intercom to mine but not the compressor. The compressor control head looks just like the one on the Aspencade. I expect they are one in the same.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

If that is the case do you think that a compressor unit from a GL 1200 could be used to replace it or should i look for another solution to this problem. Thanks again for all your help with this.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

does the compressor not pump, or is it not holding pressure. I had to rebuild my whole system on my interstate(i added a compressor from an Aspy. to my interstate). It isnt a hard job. just takes a while and can be messy.

Chris

1983Gl1100I

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hi Chris

It wound appear that the compressor will not pump.I cannot tell you more than this as the bike is in the shop for other work which is some miles from my location.As you know shop time is expensive so if i can repair this problem myself it would sure help.Assuming that the pump needs and can be rebuilt do you have or can you tell me where to get the info to do this. As i mentioned earlier i am new to the Goldwing so all the help i am receiving is greatly appreciated. It is a great forum.

Burt :waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Burt, your best bet would be to get a copy of Clymers. You can order them from several sources including Amazon or eBay. They cover the air compressor pretty well and have the wiring diagrams for the Interstate and Aspencade. Your bike is probably wired much the same way as an Aspencade if it's a Hondaline accessory. At least you'd have some idea of how the relays and switches worked.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thank You all again for yourinterest and help.I have a Clymer Manual odered and i am sure it will be of great help.I am sure that in the future i will be seeking a lot more advice as i get more and more familiar with my Goldwing,and it is nice to know that such a great site and such knowledgeable people are there and willing to help.

Thanks Again Burt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.