Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted the "float" question before and didn't get too many answers so here goes again, plus an oil leak question. Just finished an 1100 mile trek and found some things that are a concern. If I go anything over 82 mph, the front wants to lift off or float. It is mostly going down hills that I notice it. If I have torque to the real wheel wouldn't that tend to "force" the front end down some. With Interstate speeds at 75 here it isn't too hard to hit 80+. The other thing I noticed is that I am leaking oil. Just seems to be when motor is running. Hardly any when it sits over night. I tried to tighten any bolts on bottom of engine but it didn't seem to help. I also thought I saw a weep hole. Is there a reason that oil would be leaking while driving? No leak around drain plug or filter either.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
The float you describe is not uncommon with the HondaLine model I fairing (Poor Aerodynamics). It keeps the wind and rain off the rider pretty well but it does have a tendency to lift at speed. I have a large Markland windshield on mine and that helps greatly but there is a down side to that also. It would help if you told us where you see the oil dripping from. There is a weep hole under the water pump. If you are leaking there, it is time to replace the pump and associated o-rings. You should see a few drops on the floor after sitting all night.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems to leak under the front part of engine. Runs back while driving and even gets on exhaust and I can smell it while driving. I didn't think that weep hole would leak oil though. There will be a very small spot on concrete when parked but doesn't seem to get any larger over time.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The floating business I guess I will just have to put up with, but I will tell you that it gets kinda scary at times if there is a wind and you go down a hill and it does it's thing. Makes you want to pull over and rest and think things over.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Weep hole can leak antifreeze or oil or both. Clean the area around the weep hold then go for a short ride and if the oil is back then you will need to at least change the o-rings and front oil pump shaft seal. When you see what you have to do to get in there, you might as well go ahead and change the water pump also especially if it is original. (bakelite impeller)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds like just what is happening. I will go for a ride and see what it looks like. Thanks.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
If your crankcase ventilation system is plugged you'll be running a positive instead of a negative pressure in the crankcase and it will find the weakest point and leak there.
Fix that leak and it will find the next weakest point and so on and so on.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went for short ride and the weep hole has some oil dripping out of it, so................looks like a small tear down. Is it much of a problem to replace water pump while things are apart? Cost? Hate to start tearing in to this bike, as I hope one thing doesn't lead to another. Seems like these more mature bikes have one problem linked to another. Cross my fingers and see what comes out.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Went for short ride and the weep hole has some oil dripping out of it, so................looks like a small tear down. Is it much of a problem to replace water pump while things are apart? Cost? Hate to start tearing in to this bike, as I hope one thing doesn't lead to another. Seems like these more mature bikes have one problem linked to another. Cross my fingers and see what comes out.
Even if the water pump has no bearing play I'd replace it as the engine oil has washed the grease out of the bearings.
Also replace every seal/gasket/o-ring in there as you don't wont to be going back in there anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Considering your short riding season, I would finish the season and tear it down in the Winter. Keep an eye on it and if you start seeing antifreeze that would be a good time to stop riding. Otherwise enjoy the rest of the season and rework it in the off season. Go for an OEM water pump only, they are pricey but should be under $150. Add $30 to that for the o-rings and seals. Hope you have heat in your garage.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have heat if we cut enough firewood in the summer. Sounds like a deal. Won't fret too much then and just enjoy. Thanks again for all the help.

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
is the weight in place under the gauges?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
Some of the 1100s had a factory installed weight on the forks. Must be what Cyclebuster is refering to as well. You might be discovering the reason Honda put it there.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Another heads up to check for the fairing weight...between your forks and wiring junction box...my 82 was a standard with Vetter fairing. I just turned it into an interstate this year. I havent done alot of 82+MPH driving but when I have its been on Indiana flat interstates but I havent noticed any "floating".

The Vetter fairing doesnt use a weight but the HONDALINE fairing does...good luck!!

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
As Ken Bergen said check the crankcase venting. There is a drain hose that runs from the right side of the air box down and across the bike to a small black canister on the lower left. Pull the canister off and dump it out. Make sure the hose to the canister isn't plugged and that air can flow through the hose and exit out into the air filter box. On the left side of the air box is a hose that goes to the crankcase. Make sure it is open and air can flow into the air box and crankcase. Remove the oil fill cap when testing for flow into the crankcase.

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Couldn't get to my computer until now. The weight is there. I have tried different amounts of air in the shocks, both front and back and that doesn't seem to affect it one way or the other. I know that my back forks leak a bit but would that really affect it? I will also check the crankcase vent but it looks like it is coming out of the weep hole.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Couldn't get to my computer until now. I will also check the crankcase vent but it looks like it is coming out of the weep hole.

I believe Ken B above was pointing out that the "plugged crankcase vent canister" can be full and cause a leak elsewhere, like for instance the weep hole.

I am curious how much air are you running in front and rear shocks?

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will check the possible crankcase plug thing out. As far as the amount of air in shocks, I have put maximum suggested, per label anyway. Tried the minimum, too. And almost anywhere in between. It just seems that when I hit the magic speed of 83 I am going to start "floating". If I am not watching speedo I will know when I hit 83 just by the feel of the front end. It's a bit scary at times, too, if there are any winds. Like the wind NEVER blows here in Montana and Wyoming, EVER.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.