Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I noticed the rear tire rubbed a clean spot on the rear brake support arm. I looked at the maintenance manual and on Bike Bandit for the parts alignment and everything looks good. Does anyone have another picture for the order of install.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

check and make sure that the tire is seated on the rim. thats a place to start.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Put it up and center stand a rotate find the "high" spot..check the tire sidewall for wear that could be dangerous!!!

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
imported post

I recently experienced the same problem. Put on a Dunlop Qualifer 140/16 in rear. It wasn:t long before it started to rub in a specific spot, about 6-8 inches. I had the rim checked for trueness and it was good. If I held my finger against the rim, it was fine, but if I held it against the tire I found it to bulge in the problem area. I bent the torgue armslightly. No problem now, but I will change to a narrower tire this winter.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

It's on the rim OK, I hear it squeaking when I roll back. The damage is minimal, just a rub to were there is no dirt.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Set up a pointer..vice grip and wire will do ..put it on the ground and bend the wire so it is just of the rim, spin the wheel does the distance change??? if it does rim on not true or mounted wrong..if it is constant then the tire is mounted poorly or has a bulge? Has to be one or the other.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Funny you should mention the Dunlop Qualifier 140/16, that's what I'm sportin. I was thinking about the 130 on my 1981 Goldwing.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Here's a pic of my 82 rear wheel install.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for the picture bagmaster, I've got the same look so I guess I need to look for a tire, huh. Sorry about those Gamecocks last night. Was hoping they pulled that one off.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I still can't see anything wrong. I let the air out of the shocks, I've increased the air pressure to raise it more, I just don't see the cause of the problem.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

I am curios what the weight rating is on youre tire.
I have seen this before when people run the wrong tire on a 1100.
There is very little room for variables,and a tire with anything less than the 900lb weight carrying capacity on a touring tire will bulgd a bit more than you have room for.
For instance,a chin sing tire,or a dunlop 404 on an 82 or 83 1100.
The 404s (for the 82-83) are rated quit a bit lighter than the E2s and E3s and everyone ive seen on a 83 has that same rub mark.
Like I said,just check the weight carring capacity,it is not unusual for any tire to wobble slighlty where the cords are seemed.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

This is a Dunlop Qualifier 140/90-16. This is an OEM tire and I should'nt be having this problem. Since there is no wobble while I look at it rotate on the centerstand, I decided to pull the brake torque bar and give it a little squeeze til I get another tire. Weight was never an issue since the rub would happen while rotating on centerstatnd. I am nervous about getting another tire of the same size and Manufacturer if I have this to look forward to in the future.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

jrward wrote:
Funny you should mention the Dunlop Qualifier 140/16, that's what I'm sportin. I was thinking about the 130 on my 1981 Goldwing.
:waving:Correct tire sizes for the '80- '81 GoldWings are: Front 110/90-19, REAR 130/90-17

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.