Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Have you rebuilt the calipars?

Maybe someone will be along soon that has the right fix!

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Could be 2 main reasons. Master cylinder isn't bleeding back to upon release of the brake pedal, caliper cylinders are dirty and not retracting enough.

Rebuilding mine tomorrow with new seals and a full flush of the system.

A secondary reason could be brake line collapsing on the inside allowing fluid flow to the caliper but not back to the reservoir.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

I have some experience with that, both 81 wings i have owned had brakes that were sticking. You can pull the calipers, tear them down, clean them well and replace the rubber parts. Not a bad job really, kinda messy and dont get any Brake Fluid on the paint. The kits come with the caliper seal, caliper dust cover, the accordian dust covers and the bleeder screw cap. if all the outside rubber is in great condition you can just purchase the caliper seal at the dealer. 7 bucks and some change each, versus27-30 bucks each for the kits. Maybe someone can give you a link to some cheaper kits.If I gothrough all of that, I will re-do the master cylinders also, as they are usually going to beas dirty. Then bleed the brakes really well, making sure you crack all the banjo fittings and then when you find out none of that has made your brake levers firm, tie the front one back with a piece of rope or zip tie, turn the handlebar to the far left and let it sit overnight. Weigh down the foot lever at the same time. That will let any trapped air rise into the master cylinders.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
imported post

My 82 is having the same problem. Don't think the fluid was been ever changed. I flushed the rear system first to see what would happen. The rear is working fine. I flushed the front last weekend. We will see. If the return path to the reservoir is blocked (why the piston won't retract) then it could be master cylinder rebuild time or at least a disassembly and a good cleaning. I took the brakes off the bike and worked the calipers back and forth attempting to clear the blockage. I know, that is probably a half-ass way of doing something. But as I understand from many who frequent this forum, if the pistons don't leak, take the path of least resistance. Hope the flush does it.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

there was a memeber here who rebuilt and still had the same problem. Make sure to shoot some air pressure in the pressure release hole. This hole clogged is what cause that member so many headaches.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

Its everything that everyone has stated. A good cleaning and bleeding should do the trick. I am getting to do my 82 front and rear caliper rebuilds along with master cyclinder cleanings.

Good Luck! and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Finished re-building my rear caliper today. No more sticking. I use a Mity-Vac to bleed mine with. The whole rear system got a good flush at the same time.

I used 200, 400, and 1000 grit wet/dry sanding paper to clean and polish my caliper cylinder pistons and bores. New pads at the same time.

Didn't get to do a test though, rain moved in on me and tonight the temps take a dive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.