Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I recently purchased a Goldwing 1982 Standard with 15,000 original miles and love it. It had the carbs gone through last May and the owner said it ran great. Now over a year later(just bought it a week ago)and the previous ownernot winterizing the fuel, let it sit over the winter. It starts up and idles great...it runs great in each gear for the first few low rpm'sthen when I open the throttle (more noticable in third gear) it misses until higher rpm's are reached. Actually the last two gears its hard to get accleration up a slight incline. I have put 1/2 can of Seafoam in fueland am wondering if this will/hopefully get it running better? Also the front two carbs(especially right side carb)is making a rattling noise I can really notice it when idleing and even hear it while going down the road. Someone has told me it's the butterfly in carb making the noise and is common in the 1100's and not to worry about it. I can put a screw driver to my ear and the other end on the carburetor throat going to engine and hear the rattle. Anyway it's great being back in the saddle and any and all help isgreatly appreciated. Oh, one more thing...rear brake dragging and getting hot so I took apart and put new seals in and cleaned, not dragging anymore (I hope) but it is still making a squeeking sound at low speeds. What can I do to stop the squeek.

The Ryster

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

im guessing you drained the old fuel, and used that half can of seafoam on fresh fuel right? i am unaware of the "common 1100 butterfly problem" but i've worked on 81 carbs and i can think that probably the sync mechanism is missing a spring or the screws holding the butterfly are going lose, you dont want them to be sucked to the combustion chamber. but anyway let the 1100 gurus will confirm this.

congratulations on your new wing, i love the standard models, do you have maintenance records?, while you're here you will see that the very first thing you have to do is change the timing belts. other than that ur wing its safe!

welcome to the forum!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.