Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:waving: HI friends., I can not decide between a 82 or 83 Interstate. I have ruled out a Venture, but what is the difference and what should I watvch out for on either bike. They have both been maintained and bothin excellent shape.

Anyhelp would be appreiated.The 82 is Maron, the 83 a brown.

Scott:11grey:Canada

Cool sight, I must say.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

scottallen wrote:
:waving: HI friends., I can not decide between a 82 or 83 Interstate. I have ruled out a Venture, but what is the difference and what should I watvch out for on either bike. They have both been maintained and bothin excellent shape.

Anyhelp would be appreiated.The 82 is Maron, the 83 a brown.

Scott:11grey:Canada

Cool sight, I must say.
I'd go with the 83 since it has cast wheels instead of the Comstars which are riveted. They have been a problem at times loosening up, some think they weren't strong enough for the weight of the bike.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Gosh, it's a no-brainer for me at least. Look at some of the features added to the '83 over the '82.

Cast Aluminum Wheels
Unified Brakes
TRAC front forks
Factory front Fork Brace
Larger driver and passenger pegs
Stronger engine case guards
Trunk moved back 2" for more passenger room
Higher gearing in transmission

I am not crazy about brown however... But it's just paint.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

One more question. I understand that in 83 they also changed the intruments. From just analoge to digital??? Is this true and did they attach them to the fairing like a Cavalacade or the Venture. ot are they still on the Handlebars?

SCott:baffled::11brown:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

My 83'Interstate has analog gauges, speedo and tach also.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks Hobie, I had for some reason thought that they had some digital stuff added on. I am looking forward to riding this bike. I have run cruisers all my life except for a brief stint with a 1000 GL Wing. It was not a very impressive bike and thus I was not sure about an Interstate.

My first wing had points that were always being a problem, and it had a Vetter Fairing and some make shift bags ect. It was a nice riding bike, but not impresive in the area of power.

I am hoping the 1100 will be a fair bit better. The reason for the Tour bike? I have a family that has grown up and the cruiser, although cool is simply not practical, nor oerly comfortable for this 45+ body.Thanks

Scott

Dauphin Manitoba Canada:waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

scottallen wrote:
One more question. I understand that in 83 they also changed the intruments. From just analoge to digital??? Is this true and did they attach them to the fairing like a Cavalacade or the Venture. ot are they still on the Handlebars?

SCott:baffled::11brown:
It was only Aspencades, that got the LCD panels. 1983 was still handlebarmounted. Go to eBay and look at the pictures there are several nice looking 82s and 83s with detail photos you can compare with.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

You should have a read of the Goldwing History page as it lists all the changes for each year, written by Steve Saunders in his usual dry but witty style. http://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htmhttp://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htmhttp://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htm

[align=center]Here is the 1983 paragraph;[/align]
1983 was the final year of production for the GL1100 and Honda didn't disappoint, even though the model was being replaced the following year. All models got flatter footpegs, the passenger ones being slightly adjustable. The Aspencade now had eleven spoke aluminium wheels instead of the previous troublesome Comstars (which were never really able to cope with all the weight), had the suspension pump controls mounted on the handlebars just below the dash and finally got linked brakes which were much welcomed by the Goldwing community. The Aspencade now had an LCD dash with advanced (for the time) features. The choke lever was now operated by thumb on the left handlebar. Anti-dive forks (TRAC) helped considerably to reduce wallowing. Changes to the gearing saw better fuel economy, a shorter first gear made the machine faster off-the-line but top gear acceleration was now a bit more sluggish. Changes to the forks helped prevent bottoming-out and stronger springs in the rear shocks meant that the bike could be ridden without any air in them, although this wasn't always entirely wise, especially when travelling two-up. The self-cancelling indicators had some improvements to make them more reliable and the seat was redesigned to give the passenger more room. Locating the trunk both higher and further back gave even more space for those passengers who were never completely happy no matter how much Honda improved the Goldwing. The standard had been set for future Goldwings and whether you loved them or not, everyone knew that the beast was going to get bigger and more luxurious as time went on. The Aspencade now tipped the scales at over 700lbs! Comfort and size were the criteria from now on. When the replacement for the GL1100 was announced, this time there was no major discounting of prices on the last of the outgoing model. Dealers had no trouble shifting existing machines and there was no panic in trying to offload them. A far cry to just four years back. Interestingly, this has been the case with the arrival of new Goldwing models ever since and reinforces the belief that the GL1100 was the machine that rubberstamped the Goldwings seal of approval with long-distance riders all over the world. There is no doubt in my mind that the GL1100 was the make or break Goldwing, a repeat lukewarm reception by the buying public for this model (similar to that experienced by the GL1000) would surely have seen any further development of the Goldwing stopped at this point.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

One thing nobody mentioned yet. The 83 has a 140MPH speedo, not a wimpy 80MPH one! The 83 also has a removable sub-rear fender assy that wasn't on the 81 (not sure about 82) It made getting the back tire off alot easier.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

At my age I'm lucky if I can cut the cheese!

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

hitechluddite wrote:
One thing nobody mentioned yet. The 83 has a 140MPH speedo, not a wimpy 80MPH one! The 83 also has a removable sub-rear fender assy that wasn't on the 81 (not sure about 82) It made getting the back tire off alot easier.
Wasn't the 80 speedo only onCalifornia models? I had an 82 49 stater and had a 130 speedo, so did any of the older ones I seen except for California models of around 1981.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

I have an 83 Aspencade and GL Standard. I just purchased the Aspencade in January of this year and still playing with it. I won't repeat all of the improvements on the 83 vs the 82. What I have found is the Aspencade is a great freeway cruiser. I didn't realized I was doing 80mph on the freeway the other day. It felt like I was doing 50. The only problem with the bike is the weight and moving it around the driveway. It must be 100 pounds heavier than my standard and I have the full vetter package on that one including an am/fm cd radio and speakers.

Anyway, so far I love the bike.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

That's great, I am indeed looking forward to riding this year. I have ridden mainly cruisers, but I hope this wing that I ma going to look at on Monday works out.

It has 138,000 kilometers, but has been maintained very well. Regular oil, and all the maintenance.

Have a great one. I am not sure what it might have for the stereo thing. But if you wnat that, get a convertable. A bike is to be ridden and you hear the sounds of the wind and everything else.

scott

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Best of luck with it Scott. The 83 is the one to go for, all else (condition etc) being equal. Most of the bells & whistles are on the 83 and the linked brakes and flat pegs make it feel more modern as well.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Safe riding Scott. The 83 Aspencade is almost as good as a gl1200 Aspencade and I always thought that the 1100 was the last Wing that still looked like a motorcycle. Don't want to offend gl1200 owners, but the angles and squared off panels on that machine don't do anything for me personally even though I know that the 1200 runs and handles better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.