Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

82 Aspy. Removed rear wheel and bearings. Bearing on the side oposite retaining nut was loose inside hub. It would not come out without tapping on it from opposite side but it was not "pressed in" it was loose. I have new bearings on order and shoul see them this week. If the new bearing is also loose, what now????:?

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Hi Rex. It sounds like the bearing spun in your wheel and wore the hole out bigger. This was a problem with 1984 GL1200s and doesn't usually happen on GL1100s, but I guess anything is possible on an almost 30 year old wheel.
You should be able to get an engineering shop to turn out the wheel and fit a hardened sleeve so the bearing will fit. Failing that you will be looking for another wheel.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

Had a similar problem on my '83 Aspy. As GWEddie says I took it to a machine shop and they trued it up and put in a sleeve. Common procedure for them. Cost me $150 Canadian in my small town so your price should be cheaper.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
imported post

Ran into same problem last winter while rebuilding rear end, brakes,ect. PO had used a piece of shim stock to make bearing tight---very tacky repair. I work in a machine shop so I set the wheel up and bored out the diameter about 3/16 oversize. At his point I turned up an aluminumsleeve on lathe and pressed it into oversize bore wuth some permanant locktight. Idicated bearing bore on opposite side to check center and bored new sleeve to fit new bearing including a face cut for squareness. All of this took maybe two hours---2500 miles later still working great. Now do you have a buddy who works in a machine shop???? Ebay wheel from Pinwall cycles may be easier, but they can be repaired.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.