Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:(I GOT A QUESTION ON THIS 1983 HONDA GOLDWING ASPENCADE I AM LOOKING AT FOR A FREND.ALSO THIS BIKE HAS BEEN SETTING FOR A LONG TIME LOOKES LIKE OUT IN THE WEATHER AND I HAVE FOUND A HOLE IN THE FRAME RIGHT WHERE THE PART OF THE FRAME COMES APART SO YOU CAN PULL THE ENGINE OUT.DOES ANYONEKNOW WHERE I CAN FIND THAT SECTION OF FRAME?ALSO IT LOOKES LIKE THE BIKE HAS HAD A FIRE IN THE BREATHER AND MELTED TNE TOP OF THE THROTLE BODY BREATHER BODY AND THE TOP OF THE BREATHER LID DOES ANYONEKNOW WHERE I CAN FIND THESE PARTS AND DO THAY STILL MAKE REBUILD KITS FOR THE BREAK CALLIBERS.THIS IS WHAT I HAVE FOUND SO FAR NOT REALY DUG IN YET!! DON’T EVEN KNOW IF IT RUNS YET.ALSO I NEED THE LINKEGE FOR CARBS IS MISSING ON LEFT HAND SIDE RAIDO AND CB WORKS!!

OLD BIKER!:?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

THE ONER IS TELLING ME ITS A 1983 1200 ITS IS A 1200 THATS WHAT IT SAYS ON THE VALVE COVERS WILL TELL HIM TO LOOK ON TITLE FOR RIGHT YEAR.THANKS FOR THE LINKS.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

You may want to post this in the for sale section as well and state what you need.An 83 is an 1100 and 84 - 87 is a 1200. Look on the front steering stem part of the frame to tell you for sure. There may be someone parting one out you could use.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

That part of the frame you need is called the subframe and I did see one on ebay ,look on the steering head and you should find a decal that will tell the year of the bike.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

thanks the bike is a 1984 i think someone sold him a 1984 with a 1983 title when i get in touch with him i will check out his title he says its an 1983 but on frame it says it a 1984 THanks again

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,484 Posts
imported post

You might want to check the VIN # on the bikeagainst the title VIN # just to make sure it's the correct title!

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

pull the plugs out & squirt some oil/diesel into the cylinders. see if it's ceased up from sitting. If it isnt, spin it over with no plugs in it & oil up those cylinders. You should drop the old oil out & pour in some new oil before any of this.

As you are spinning the engine over, you are providing the engine with fresh oil via the oil pump so that everything gets some lube before you try to start it up.

Disconnect the fuel line from the tank & hook it into a jug of fresh gas.

Others may add to this step by step process of waking up the sleeping wing!

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

The first thing i did was to replace the cylonid look like it had melted where the four wire pluges in to the top of it.i just took the wires and put tempery ends on wanted to see if bike would run before replacing plug and the plug was complety gone.pulled plugs and squrted some deasoul fuel and oil mix into each cylender.it would turn over but i had to TAP!! the side of starter.It would turn over verry slowily then nothing the solonid wont even click.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

The plug that looks melted......is it where the 3 yellow wires plug together? If so, dont worry about replacing the plug.....solder the wires together and takes care of headaches down the road....do a search for "3 yellow wires" and it will bring up alot of threads on what and how to do. Also get rid of the dogbone main fuse and put a inline fuse holder with a 30amp blade fuse in. The dogbone may look good, but could be cracked. Are you getting any lights etc when you turn the switch on...that is after you tried to start and can't get starter to engage?

Check amps on the battery, could be bad or need a good hot charge.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I have always wondered if the 1200 stator was destroyed by a bad connection (the three yellow wires)or just a short at the stator. 1980s CB750s and CX500s had bad stators.Meaning; the insulation came off in the stator.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

I have wondered that myself.I have a friend (electrical engineer) That feels it is all in bad connectors,but he stopped riding goldwings in 1991,so his 84 was only 6 years old when he sold it.Some where I think I read that they fail because the coating in the coils get bad from the oil dissolving them. So having no real positive feed back I wonder the same thing if a bad plug connectoris the only real stator enemy.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Some states require that a bike sold the first time like an 84 1200 sold in 83 come with a 83 labeled title regardless what the title says. I've had South Carolina do exactly that with a car I had bought used but but was originally titled new as the year it was sold in. That's why I hate that new model cars come out in the middle of the year the year before of the year their labeled as.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
imported post

Well to sandcastcb 750 this is Rod in Malden in answer to your question of a while ago on the bad stator of the 1200 ( which by the way cost me $1700 on mine )...... I was told that there was a bad coating put on the stator that when heated from bad connection at the dreaded yellow connector caused it to fail..... My 1100 When I checked had melted the connection and was still fine ...... I think there is a blue line or some other marking to look for to make sure you don't buy a bad one ..... check around here there is the info... naked wing is coming along started today and looking at two cheap 70's wings in NH for cheap thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.