Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I apologize in advance if this subject has been done to death, I couldn't think of the term to search.

I'm going to sell my 1998 Honda Shadow ACE Tourer in the spring and I'm getting a Wing. Top-opening bags are a must, so I;'m looking at '83-'87's. I see these all the time in the $2000 range with 30k-60k miles. Are there any issues with these I need to be aware of, besides the obvious?

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

Number one would be the charging system, mainly the stator wires at the battery.

Other than that there is all kinds of info here to read on any year of bike you are looking at.

Other than that I'm sure all the members here have a opion on one year or another. Makes for good reading.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

If you live in Chicago I am only 150 miles south of you in Champaign IL. I have an 83 GL1100 for sale for $1800 it runs great I rode it Sunday. From my research the the 84-87 have stator problems which involves removing the entire engine. I believe that the earlier models 84 and 85 have the most problems. To clear up model years 1975-1979 GL1000 1980-1983 GL1100 1984-1987 GL1200( most stator problems but also very dependable and inexpensive) 1988-2000 GL1500 2001- present GL1800. There is a link on this site that tells you what to look for when buying a goldwing.Here it is http://www.goldwingfacts.com/usedgoldwing.htm.
I haven't owned a 1200 but if space is a concern my 83 has a ton of it. I have put $60 worth of groceries in it from walmart and have had space to spare, I fit a 30lb watermelon in one of the saddlebags over the summer. Here's a link to my ad.http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=126797&forum_id=6&jump_to=1489839#p1489839

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks Mike217, but I have to sell my Tourer first. I'm going to shine it up real good, replace the back tire and sell it in the spring. I want a Wing because I just don't handle the cold as well as I used to and need a big 'ol fairing to hide behind when I ride.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

My son has a 99 Shadow Ace. He loves it for around town but hates it on the highway or in the rain. He too is looking at Wings, unfortunately for him he thinks Dads going to buy it...... NOT....

Here's one that he just sent me:
http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/mcy/2763426818.html

Pretty bike, but not for $4600.

Im buying him highway (Crash) Bars and Chaps for the bars for XMas.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
imported post

The stator in the alternator is the BIG issue. If that's bad, the engine has to come out of the frame to fix it. Either that or do a PoorBoy external alternator add-on.

The stators were recalled and replaced under warranty by Honda. You can find out if the bike you are looking at had the stator replaced under warranty by calling Honda American Motor Company in California (866)784-1870. If you give them the VIN off the bike, they can tell you if it's been replaced.

If it's been replaced AND the three yellow wires from alternator (located to the left of the battery) have been hard soldered and the plastic connector removed, you should be OK with the bike. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

I would shop online for a bike from the south, particularly the southwest, since they will have weathered the years much better than a 25+ year old bike up north. The little extra you pay for shipping it to you will be worth not having to replace a bunch of rusted worn out components. Got mine from Arizona and it's like new.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the great advise. Next question, I'm thinking Wing because I want protection from the wind on cold-morning rides to work, without being broiled on the way home in the afternoon. How are GL1100/1200's at blocking wind?

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
imported post

Chicago wrote:
How are GL1100/1200's at blocking wind?
My GL1200 fairing blocks the wind much better than my GL1800 fairing does! Really.

I needed to add a complete set of Baker air wings, leg wings, and hand wings to my GL1800 to get the same coverage my GL1200 provides stock.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

I too came off a cruiser style bike without a fairing and loved its looks and still do as a matter of fact I always thought goldwings and other bikes with fairings and windshields were ugly. But after hopping on a goldwing and going the opposite direction on a two lane with a semi I realized the significance of the fairing. I no longer cringe when I see a grain truck. As for cold weather protection the fairing helps a lot for that as well. The other day when I went to fill the bikes up for the winter I was freezing on my cruiser, then I went to fill up the goldwing and noticed that if I had remembered my gloves I could have actually gone for a cruise rather than a short jaunt to the gas station, so that following Sunday that's what I did. If you buy a goldwing you won't be disappointed, yeah they are kind of ugly, yeah they are kind of for old men, but once you are on a 300 mile trip and all your buddies are tired, wining and cold on their shadows or fatboys or whatever you will be reassured that you made the correct decision when you know that you could easily do another 200 miles and then some.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Actually, the ACE Tourer comes stock with a windshield and is quite the touring bike. I've ridden mine to Sturgis 4 different times while pulling a trailer! A 600-mile day is very do-able on a T. My problem is riding to work on 50 degree mornings. The T's windshield just isn't enough for me anymore. BTW, I love the look of old-school Wings.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Chicago wrote:
Top-opening bags are a must...
How so? I've owned and ridden every version of the Goldwing except the 1800. I can cram more stuff into the 1500 bags than any other I've owned and access it all much easier than the top loading. I think you may be jumping to a conclusion that is unwarranted. Plus, check this site for how many of the owners of top-loaders are looking for replacements for the tops they've lost. Not an infrequent happening. Far fewer accounts of side loaders springing open.

IMHO, having owned two of the 1200 version Goldwings, I'd get a 1500 if you can afford it. Won't speak to power, comfort, style, etc as there are as many opinions as there are owners, but I will speak to ease of finding replacement parts. They are getting harder to find each year and what you may find is not dropping in price. Often you'll settle for a so-so condition used part. And that's just while shopping in the comfort of your home in front of your computer. Most dealers don't carry parts and it takes up to a week to get a new part in. IF they can get. A lot of the time they'll tell you its no longer available when it still is available. We won't even get into the 'find a dealer that will work on it' discussion. Most refuse. Comforting thought when you're heading out on a long trip.

And what about when you have a problem on the road? Any long distance rider will tell you that on a bike at least 25 years old you will have an issue or two on the road eventually. For me it was a simple fuel filter. Dealer in Idaho didn't carry it (different size entry and exit orifices) but said he'd order it, on a Thursday afternoon, but not to expect it until Monday afternoon. And then the PGs went in the heat of Montana. Had to limp home to find a replacement for those because Montana dealer told me Honda didn't make them anymore. Found them on Fleabay.

Thus started my adventure with 1500s. And I'm not alone. I know at least 4 other local members that have, or are in the process of, getting rid of there 1200s and moving up. And a couple of those were in pristine condition but even getting the regular maintenance parts was getting to be a pain in the A$$.

Just my 2 cents.

Now, tell me again, what is it you have against side loading bags?

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

Parts are not a problem where I am from there are a lot of parted out 1200s because of the stator problem motolane.com (Decatur IL)is a great place to find parts super friendly answered all my questions they mostly ship but it's near me so I would go there to inspect and purchase parts. There are also places to buy air filters brake pads gaskets brand new you just need to research. As for parts while out on the road I got my timing belts and fuel filter at napa.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
imported post

I also would suggest a GL1500 if you can swing it. I went from a GL1100 to a GL1200..noticeably better, then from the GL1200 to a GL1500...NO COMPARISON! The GL1500 handles better and is a much more comfortable ride for both me and my wife.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

wpgfire wrote:
Now, tell me again, what is it you have against side loading bags?
All my beer and ice falls out when I open them! :cheers:KIDDING! Just kidding. It just seems like they'd be a PITA to load and get closed while keeping the mating surfaces clear of clothing, etc. Especially on the left side while on the side stand.

My current bike (ACE Tourer) has top-opening bags and I couldn't be happier with them.

There's no way I canafford a 1500. What I hope to accomplish is tosell my Tourer for around $4000, buy a wing for around $2000 and pocket the difference while enjoying riding on cold mornings again.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
imported post

Chicago wrote:
I apologize in advance if this subject has been done to death, I couldn't think of the term to search.

I'm going to sell my 1998 Honda Shadow ACE Tourer in the spring and I'm getting a Wing. Top-opening bags are a must, so I;'m looking at '83-'87's. I see these all the time in the $2000 range with 30k-60k miles. Are there any issues with these I need to be aware of, besides the obvious?
There is a link on this web site that has good info on the different Goldwings. It should help you out in what to look for in regards to problems and issues. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the different models.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/used1200.htm

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
imported post

You can get a GL1500 for what you are wanting to sell your ACE for. Just look around and don't get in a hurry. I gave only $3000 for mine!

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

As far as blocking the wind, I can't compaire to a bike with a windshield, but I rode a shadow 500 with nothing all last winter and it was miserable, I went for the wing for the same reason you want to. It makes a HUGE difference. I feel almost no cold now except for the back of my neck and my hands. I've started wearing a turtle neck under my jacket and that solves the neck. I'm thinking I may try to come up with some kind of hand gaurd down the road, but it'sA LOT more liveable than a naked bike! If you can afford the 1500 that might be the way to go, but if you're lookin' forcheap I've been dang happy with my wing and the 1200's are cheapand reliable.

The buyer's guide on this site is fantastic for what to lookfor, just know plastics are REALLY expensive and unless you're REALLY good with wiring, stay away from a bike that someone who isn't that good has been molesting.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

My otherwise useless local Honda dealer (Harbor Sports & Cycle, Benton Harbor, MI) has an '86 Wing for sale. I got to throw a leg over it and it fit me pretty well. Of course being a dealer, they wanted $3500 for a $2000 bike but they did invite me to show them my Tourer when I get ready to sell.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
imported post

Take it from me...it's a waste of time to try sell a bike to a dealer. They won't want to give you anything for it! You are much better off to sell it to an individual!

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
imported post

+1 with CBH. The dealer is only in it to make money. He'll give you low ball price and sell it for profit. Sell it yourself and use the money for the Goldwing you find.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.