Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just bought a great 1983 Aspencade with less than 13,000 miles!! Problem is the Radio,CB, Cassete doesnt work, as well as the clock but the temp gage does work.
Anyone have any ideas beside fuses to check? I have checked the fuses and all seem to be fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Check the fuses again using an ohm meter, they can appear to be good but broken in the end caps where you can't see it. All the fuses will be inside the left fairing, pull the pocket and the left turn signal to access all of them. Also check you main fuses under the false gas tank the same way, with an ohm meter. Checking both ends of the fuses with a volt meter will work also with the key on in the run or accessory position. The only full time hot lead you will find is for the clock and radio pre-set memory.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hi tg02z71,

I might add as well that you should inspect the wiring in the fairing. If you have critters in your area (which we all do!) then they could have made a few homes in there. They seem to love to chew on wiring harnesses. I had to gut my system because of this reason.

Tim.

Oh yeah,…

Welcome to the forum!! You will find a great bunch of people here that love to help with any problems you may have. A great bunch a people haunt this place!

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

You guys are awesome!! I am going out to take a look at all the fuses now.
Being that I don't have a manual I wasn't aware that is had all these other fuses hidden behine turn signals and such. I am used to my old FZR1000 I have been resurecting the last year.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

The manual will have the wiring diagram.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Man, I like those light strips on the saddle bag light bar!! Are they led's? If so, find out from the PO where they cam from!

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Well it wasn't a fuse, there was a four prong quick disconnect that was disconnected.
Weird but it all works now.
One more issue is it doesn't hold the radio presets now. Its fine as long as the ignition is on but as soona s you pull the key your done.
Looks like more fuse hunting for me. :)
Honda could have done a cleaner job of arranging that mass of wires and fuses inside the turnsignal bay, lol. Looks like an octopus orgy in there!

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

They are old school bulbs I think. I will post up some pics with the light on.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Dash, put over 1000 miles on her thge last two weeks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Lights out back. Sorry for the pic quality, my cell usually takes better pics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Lights up front.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Could be your 1 amp fuse (red wiring) behind the left turn signal is blown. It controls the clock and pre-set.

Nice bike you have.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
Could be your 1 amp fuse (red wiring) behind the left turn signal is blown. It controls the clock and pre-set.

Nice bike you have.
Nice looking bike. You are going to enjoy riding that.:clapper:
The 1 amp fuse is in one of three White Clam Shell type fuse holders. There is also a 0.2 (Two tenths) amp fuse in a twist off type fuse holder. Both these have a Red Wire in and out of the fuse holders. The Red Wire is Hot at all times and supplies 12 volts for memory of the clock, pre-set radio channels, and the CB if you have one.
Also, in case you don't already know,when the radio is on, push the yellow button on the Radio Control module to see what time it is.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

Last time I was digging around in the faring I think that I found 9 fuses. Some of them are really buried under the headlight area! And on mine the yellow button for the clock is hot all the time.

And as an aside: the other day the clock came on full time and I had to push the yellow button to see what radio station I was listening to! A 'reboot' solved the problem. Welcome to the wacky world of Honda electronics.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thank you for the compliments and the information. I will spend a lil time tomorrow looking at fuses again. Had to work on my other bike tonight, that's a project that is coming to en end finally!

I am so glad I joined up at the site!
I was kind of unsure how I would like the bike after always owning sport type bikes my whole life but I LOVE this Monster!! 250-300 plus miles rides are a joke and actually more fun than any bike for that distance. I'll use my sport bike on 50-75 mile rides here and there.
Oh ya, I paid get this....$1200.00 for this bike!! I know the guy well, he was liqudating his deceased fathers estate and just wanted to get rid of it. This is the best purchase of a motorcycle I have ever made period!!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.