Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Charging Problem:(, My Beautiful 1983 1100 Aspencade has a problem. Seems to have appeared this last riding season although the symptoms came up about a year ago. I rode the bike for a weekend trip about a year ago and I noticed after parking it for the night that it did not turn over very well. It did start, yet I came home noticing that the dashboard voltmeter read about 10 volts. After returning home I bench checked the battery and found it had a dead cell, 10 volts, period. Assuming it was an old worn out battery, I discarded this battery, bought a new one and went on my merry way. Then, after another weekend trip it was not charging again, accordind to the volt meter. I bench tested the battery an found it was still 12 volts, but weak. I have several chargers, including a maintainer, and I plugged the maintainer (trickle charger) into the battery. It took about 36 hours to fully charge the battery. At this point I knew I had a charging problem. I went on line and through a little research discovered that the problem was probably the rectifier/ regulator unit. I bought a new one for $190 bucks, installed it and WOW! The voltmeter registered the appropriate 14 volts and everything seemed fine. Until another weekend trip. The bike registered fine for about 300 miles, then the voltmeter showed low charging voltage. Long story short, I had to buy a new battery to BARELY make it home.
I went on-line again and a fellow from Ireland suggested I may have a problem with a bad connector from the three yellow-wired alternator connection plug on the left side of the bike next to the battery. I checked it out and he was RIGHT! The connection was rotten as hell. He suggested I direct wire the plug & I did.
OK. Sorry for the long tale. Here's my problem. I still don't have proper charging, my dash meter still reads about 10 volts.
So, do I trust that I may have burned out another rectifier/regulator and buy another one (if I can find one at $180)? Or do I pull the entire engine to re-do my alternator?
HELP.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. Did you check the alternator for shorts to ground or out-put voltage while you were repairing the Yellow wires. If you're getting the regular 45/55 vac then you can look elsewhere for the trouble. If it fails the test then I would at least concider the "Poor-Boy". :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the
Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromTEXAS

:waving:

·
Pops
4,519 Posts
imported post

[align=left]HelloTimmyWillitsand welcome from Arizona.

[/align]
[align=left] "Why buy'm if you don't ride'm[/align]

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
imported post

Welcome to forum TimmyWillits from Waco Tx. Before you change out or pull anything I would suggest running though the test outlined in the manual. Stators do fail(usally aburply) but sounds like you still have some connector problems, maybe at the rect/reg.Should be some more input coming. :waving:Keno

( For the Forum members) Don't the 1100 pose a few small problems with the faring lowers on the 1100'scompared to the 1200's when doing the conversion?alternator size or type limited because ofconfined space?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.