Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

:(Hey Guys Was pulling out of the gas station and smelled something loke hot or burnt electricity, I know, not good, thought it was a car in front of me, no such luck, looked down at my meter and it was at about 11 volts at speed, I have been having issues recently charging with the headlight on,P/O installed a switch for the headlight. If the headlight is on it stayed at about 11.5 volts, if it was off it charged OK. Back to my issue, I kept going and it continued to discharge until it completly died. Got it home via tow truck and have it on the charger now. The stator was changed about 2 years ago by the P/O. Help.:?

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

Did you check the stator plug under the left side cover? If it was not replaced, it may have burned. The three yellow wires should be soldered together if the plug is burned. There are many threads explaining the procedure.

John

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sounds to me that the PO had a problem he didn't repair. Adding a switch to shut off the headlight just cured the symptom, I really hate to see mickey mouse stuff like that. I'd check the stator plug as mentioned by Dadoo and take a look at the voltage regulator plug, just follow the yellow wires up to the regulator, you'll see the plug and socket. If there's any sign of heating on any of those plugs and sockets that will require repair. The things to look for are discoloration of any of the metal parts, ie., bluing or corrosion and any sign of plastic melting. If you don't find anything wrong with the connections then it's time to disconnect the stator and check it with an ohm meter. There's a lot of information on how to do that if you do a search on the forum. If the stator checks out as well as the wiring the next thing would be to look for another regulator/rectifier.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

in agreement with the above. common problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.