Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My question is...is it ok to not link the brakes? This bike will be a standard version.My reason to do this is so i dont have to run all the extra lines required with the linked system.I am aware the the front calipers are different(the piston size).Has any one done this,any thoughts apreciated.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I think the rear master has a bigger bore so you might lock the rear wheel and slide just running the rear caliper alone.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

maybe you can convert everything over from a 1981 or 1982?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Use the 82(they are non linked) if so inclined to change, as 80-81 are single pot, piston.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

I believe the aspy is dual piston

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Aspy started in 82

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

It will work fine, nothing to worry about.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

The linked system works well as does unlinking it.
The most common reason that people unlink them is FUD (Fear, Uncertainty Doubt) from those that would never use the front brakes unless travelling straight ahead on dry roads.:shock:

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
The most common reason that people unlink them is FUD (Fear, Uncertainty Doubt) from those that would never use the front brakes unless travelling straight ahead on dry roads.:shock:
And those who have a leaking proportioning valve.

There's an idea for you rusin, if your valve is good you can easily sell it.

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
imported post

I unlinked mine after bleeding on the rear brake circuit for three days. After I plugged the feed to the front caliper. just a few pumps and I had brakes. I later upgraded the front caliper to an 82 to get the piston size equal. I have not had any rear lock up issues. It will slide the rear tire under panic braking, but you have to be heavy footed. Jay

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks every one.I bought a roller,originally an 1983 aspencade.It did have the rear master and valve.dont know if they work.It also had the front braking system in tact.I liked the idea of using the forks as well as the dual piston calipers.From the replys the fear of delinking are gone.I do have a rear master from a 1981 i will check size difference.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I love the FUD from the Harley Crowd that are scared of the front brake.

After all, it's where 80% of your stopping power is generated.

Do people actually equate a motorcycle with a 10-speed bicycle, and "You'll flip it" mentality? Or does the fear/misunderstanding come from somewhere else?

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
imported post

Rusin, I have run unlinked brakes on my '83 for a few years now with no problems. I use stainless steel lines (check my thread in the For Sale section), braking is not a problem! Glad to see another old timer getting back on the road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.