Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I need help. I now have exactly 2 GL1100 parts bikes. One engine is seized up, the other is not seized but has internal damage. It will move freely then get stuck and won't turn.

I want to remove both engines and rebuild into one good engine. I know I need a rebuild kit, and i am planning on ordering one after Christmas.

However, I do not know what I am doing. I am sure i can figure it out, but pointers would be helpful.

I used to have the manual on a CD but I cannot find it anywhere ... anyone know where I can get a copy?

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

if it were me , i would start with the one that is turning only part way. take off the heads and see if it is a drop , sticking , valve and go from there. or if its some thing else.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

What level of 'I don't know what I'm doing' are you at?
What tooling do you have?

These engines are not the easiest for someone who really does know what he's doing. Re-build kits as such don't exist.
The cost of a full re-build could break your heart (or the bank managers!) Crankshaft and rod bearings are in short supply and expensive. The gaskets and seals alone will run you around $200.

Admittedly the situation will change over time as engines get used up, but at the moment you are probably better to hunt up a good used one, or at least a good short block.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I have to concur with both members....1100 engines are not hard to find, and if at all possible have who ever owns it crank it for you....Some breakers, like the two guys here in Houston I deal with, have some great running engines...If you get it and are not happy, ship it back for a full refund, or another engine...Just this year alone we have had several members breaking down 1100's with some excellent engines...I have been a Master Mechanic over half of my life, I thought at one time of buying, rebuilding Goldwing engines, but after setting down and looking at the prices on just the short block to rebuild one,:shock::shock::shock:.... I gave that idea up....I could rebuild one and you could go out and buy a great running engine for less money....

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

i think you should be able to do up 1 good engine...but you might have to rip the best one down to the journals and new brngs...you got lotsa time?...worst case...1 may be just a head/valve problem locking up..but to know for sure you need to pull the heads and yank around on the pistons to see for slop...if all this is suspect...a quick and dirty solution is a confirmed ebay mill and swap out...but then you still have 2 bogus engs layin around.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

To clarify how much I do not know .... I have never split a crankcase before and worked on the inside of an engine. I have rebuilt carbs before and have some mechanical knowledge.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

The engine that moves a little is probably got a bent valve. As said above removing the heads will reveal that issue if that's it..but could have a holed piston too..also will be revealed with heads off.. new complete heads can be had for $20 on eBay..That's where I'd start. Also check the belts..are they still intact?? moving the cams? If not cam could be holding valve open and all you need to do is fix the belts, easy check for that is to back off all the tappets..to release press on the valves..

But as said above if it's more than a valve issue getting another running engine will be much cheaper.

That said..if you need parts PM me. I have complete heads, pistons, rods, valves, etc, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks everyone. More than likely, I will start removing everything after Christmas and will post in this thread when I start everything.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

please do keep us up on it.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
imported post

I would tear down the stuck engine. and see what you have there.not too much work to pull the heads and have a look.then do the same to your other engine.but as others have said there is a lot of used gl1100 engines for sale.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I found GL1100 rebuild kits for under $70. I am gonna go ahead and buy 2 in case I can get two working motors out of these two bad ones. I figure, if I can do that, I might be able to make a bobber out of one of them. This is going to take a long time ....

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Schweisshund wrote:
I found GL1100 rebuild kits for under $70....
Just the head gaskets are more than that... where are you getting this kit and what is in it??

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
Schweisshund wrote:
I found GL1100 rebuild kits for under $70....
Just the head gaskets are more than that... where are you getting this kit and what is in it??
Probably gasket kit B which is just the gaskets and o-rings to split the cases no head gaskets etc.

If it were me I'd strip the engines down before spending a penny on parts.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

It is a complete gasket kit - includes head gaskets. I saw it on ebay a few days ago - now I am finding them for $119 ++ free shipping.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Schweisshund wrote:
It is a complete gasket kit - includes head gaskets. I saw it on ebay a few days ago - now I am finding them for $119 ++ free shipping.
I would still need the gaskets. I think I have either a thrown rod or broken crank. I will list the parts I need once I disassemble both engines.

edit:

actually, I found one for $109

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goldwing-GL1100-Engine-complete-Full-Gasket-set-/290634810645?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item43ab2f4515

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I would be very surprised if you have an engine with a thrown rod or broken crank. Very unlikely to find one damaged to that point. I used to rebuild 1100s in my old shop and resurrected a couple of frozen engines to good operating condition and didn't need to split either one. Don't buy anything until you've pulled the heads and take a look. If it's a bent valve you may well be able to replace the head with the bad valve with the head of the other engine. The frozen engine might simply be a leaking head gasket that caused coolant to get in the cylinder(s) and caused a ring to rust to the cylinder. It just takes a tiny bit of surface rust to lock up an engine. I've freed two 1100 engines by simply using a heavy hammer and a 2X4. Whittle down a short hunk of 2X4 to fit into the cylinder, and give it a good thump with a hammer and you can break loose a stuck piston. A bit of 400 or 600 gritwet or dry sandpaperused with oil and elbow grease will usually clean up the cylinder wall to make the engine turn over freely. Both engines I did that to ended up with 175+psi compression which aint half bad. Neither burned any oil once I got them back running again. These are tough engines, don't fix what ain't broke. If you have to split the case and replace bearings, rings, valves and all the gaskets you'll be running up a total cost nearly equalling the value of the bike itself. Go the practical way, pull the heads, take a look and come back here with what you found.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Schweisshund wrote:
.I think I have either a thrown rod or broken crank. ...

very low probablility of either...

I'd say one is just stuck (corrosion, etc.) and the other probably has a bent or dropped valve..

edit:and I'll add that I don't think that you will need those gasket kits... The cases will likely NOT have to be split.

and I'll also add that those gasket kits you reference are from Saber Cycle.. 'nuff said.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

The full gasket kit is being sold on E-Bay by SaberCycle.

HMMM!!!

:doh:

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

The full gasket kit is being sold on E-Bay by SaberCycle.

HMMM!!!

:doh:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.