Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

How much oil does each fork take, is a regular 20w good for two up touring? Any tip regarding changing it.
Thank You.
Oldbro

How do you drain oil from a 1983 GL Interstate fron Forks???

Thank You,

Oldbro

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Take the air valve out or totally relieve the pressure. Then put a basin under each fork and remove the 10mm drain bolt at the bottom of the fork.
Now I've done it and blown the seal I'd recommend taking the fork caps off at the top. Be careful of the springs. Then work the forks to remove just about all the old oil. Refit the drain bolt. Fill the tubes with oil, I used 8 oz the second time around in each tube. Or fill to 5.5 inches from the top with the forks colapsed.
Alternatively if you elect not to remove the caps you can fill from the drain hole. I used one of those pump oil cans. If you are going to do it this way then add only about 7.2 oz of oil to each fork. There is a risk of over filling this way and a blown seal can be the result.

I used power steering fluid and like the results but then again I don't have much to compare it to either.

·
Administrator
25,725 Posts
imported post

83 models hold 9.8oz of oil each.
20 wt is good, much improvement over ATF or 10 wt.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thank You Tim. I will change my oil in the morning. Then we are of and out on the highway for a couple weeks. Weather reports are looking good here in BC and then to YellowStone Park. Your bike looks good too.

Thanks Again.

Oldbro (Terry)

Victoria, BC.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

Hey Oldbro
Aside from checking weather you might want to check Hwy construction in Yellowstone, a few weeks ago they had some sections closed & other areas gravel & mud.
Big Mac, Clancy,MT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.