Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey all, I,ve been watching for awhile and need to ask a question.
my 83 GL feels like its only running on 2 or 3 cylinders.......Im getting spark in all plugs, soaked and cleaned the carbs, but when I hooked the merc sticks to the inlet pipes the #2 cylinder was "blowing" rather than "drawing" in vacume. And when its running the #2 intake pipe gets super hot while the other three do not. I pulled the head and the valves are fine and not hung up or anything.........Im at a loss! Does anyone know why this thing seems to be acting this way??
Kevin

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

gaskara169 wrote:
my 83 GL feels like its only running on 2 or 3 cylinders.......Im getting spark in all plugs, soaked and cleaned the carbs, but when I hooked the merc sticks to the inlet pipes the #2 cylinder was "blowing" rather than "drawing" in vacume. And when its running the #2 intake pipe gets super hot while the other three do not. I pulled the head and the valves are fine and not hung up or anything.........Im at a loss! Does anyone know why this thing seems to be acting this way??
Kevin
Kevin, many reasons possible..

Like; worn cam lobe or lobes,, mis-set cam timing,, improper spark timing to that cylinder (look for improperly installed plug wires or wire placement on the coils),, plugged up exhaust on that cylinder (that will retain firing pressure until the intake valve opens),, lean carb allowing the ignition firing to pop back through an open intake valve..

I don't suppose you did a compression test before pulling the head?

Not sure if the 83 had pulse air but if so maybe a leaking pulse check valve on that bank..

You will probably have to verify everything is correct until you find the problem..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hey Twisty
Thanks for the quick reply......I did a comp check and I got 137 to 145 between all jugs.
This machine I got from a fella that did a "83 motor transplant into a "81 GL.
I went through all the electrics and the only thing I noticed was that there was no place to plug in the neutral indicator from the "83 motor into the "81 harness.
The timing is spot on and the pipe isnt plugged at all......Im starting to think its a carb thing but these wings are suppposta be pretty rugged........and blowing out the port? would that be caused by a carb problem?
Kevin

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

gaskara169 wrote:
Hey gaskara169 :waving:You mean you were lurking. :stumped: Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

gaskara169 wrote:
......Im starting to think its a carb thing but these wings are suppposta be pretty rugged........and blowing out the port? would that be caused by a carb problem?
Kevin, that's sure possible but if it were carb related you would probably hear popping in the intake as it ran under load.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

If you indeed have pressure on the intake piping between the carb and cylinder, I'd suspect either a bent or burnt intake valve on that cylinder causing the compression gas to blow back up. Probably being dispersed in the intake plenum to the other cylinders.

Do a compression and leakdown on that cylinder, let us know the results.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

gaskara169 wrote:
Hey Twisty
Thanks for the quick reply......I did a comp check and I got 137 to 145 between all jugs.
This machine I got from a fella that did a "83 motor transplant into a "81 GL.
I went through all the electrics and the only thing I noticed was that there was no place to plug in the neutral indicator from the "83 motor into the "81 harness.
The timing is spot on and the pipe isnt plugged at all......Im starting to think its a carb thing but these wings are suppposta be pretty rugged........and blowing out the port? would that be caused by a carb problem?
Kevin
Kevin, with less than 10# compression difference between all cylinders it doesn't sound like a valve problem.. If you are sure about the timing being OK & not having a plugged exhaust pipe, that doesn't leave a lot of places to look.. By re-reading your first query it looks like you possibly might have 2 cylinders out. If that is so, maybe re-check for plug wire firing order, if you have 2 wires crossed one could be firing that errant cylinder on the intake stroke. OR, re-check the cam belt position & timing, a cam out of time could cause your problem & still give a decent compression reading at cranking speed.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Well, had to get dirty with the ol' gal but finally got to the problem......the head of the intake valve was popped off and wedged in the seat sideways! I checked the cylinder for damage and saw that the valve head was just barely clearing the piston when on the up stroke so there was no damage to the piston............*whew!
I replaced the valve and after putting everything together she purred like a kitten...................Thanks all!!

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I wonder why the valve broke Kevin. Did you check if the valve spring was weak and maybe holding the valve open enough to wallop the piston.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.