Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Check continuity on that Yellow/Red wire from the "start switch" to the "terminal plug". From what you are saying, you will not have any continuity on that wire. If no continuity there is a break somewhere in that wire.....!!

Yes. There is power to the Yellow/red wire at the switch when pushed but no power at the termination plug at the head light opening. So I think I might have found the problem. Tomorrow I will install a new Yellow/red wire a see what happens.

·
Administrator
24,997 Posts
There is a connector inside the box on the forks.

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I've tested the yellow/red from the fork box to the connection at the starter relay and I have power when the starter button is pushed. I've tested every wire going to the starter relay and all are go. I guess I should test the ground? Unless someone has a better idea.

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
In post # 13 you said there was no power on the yellow/red wire at the relay.

What do you really have....??

Seems hard to help when given conflicting information..........!!

I've tested the yellow/red from the fork box to the connection at the starter relay and I have power when the starter button is pushed. I've tested every wire going to the starter relay and all are go. I guess I should test the ground? Unless someone has a better idea.

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
In post # 13 you said there was no power on the yellow/red wire at the relay.

What do you really have....??

Seems hard to help when given conflicting information..........!!

Everything has to be plugged in to check each line. When I originally check each they we not plugged in somewhere. The red/white and the red are hot when in. The yellow/red is hot then the push button is on and it is plugged in. The remaining wire is a ground. This is what I know from all the test. If you are calling me out because I don't know what I'm doing, don't! I need help not quotes. Butch

·
Administrator
24,997 Posts
Check the green/red for ground. It is grounded by the neutral switch or the clutch switch. If the neutral light is on and it is still not grounded could be the clutch switch diode is blown, very likely if the starter relay was connected wrong and sent power through the diode. The diode is taped to the wiring harness at the left front of the air cleaner.

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Check the green/red for ground. It is grounded by the neutral switch or the clutch switch. If the neutral light is on and it is still not grounded could be the clutch switch diode is blown, very likely if the starter relay was connected wrong and sent power through the diode. The diode is taped to the wiring harness at the left front of the air cleaner.

That was it! Thanks Dave0430 and everyone else who help.:smile2:

·
Administrator
24,997 Posts
:thumbsup:
Did you ever just try pulling the clutch in? It should work even if the diode is bad.

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
:thumbsup:
Did you ever just try pulling the clutch in? It should work even if the diode is bad.
I did once in the process but not near the end. I 'm tracing down the problem still now. But have to leave town for a few days but will be back on it when I get back.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I did once in the process but not near the end. I 'm tracing down the problem still now. But have to leave town for a few days but will be back on it when I get back.:smile2:
I pulled the clutch in and it started. But still will not start with the bike in neutral. I took the button apart, cleaned the contacts and still nothing in neutral.

·
Administrator
24,997 Posts
I pulled the clutch in and it started. But still will not start with the bike in neutral. I took the button apart, cleaned the contacts and still nothing in neutral.
If it starts with the clutch in then obviously there is nothing wrong with the start button. If the neutral light works it still must be the diode, thought you fixed that.

·
Premium Member
5,916 Posts
Even though you have changed the diode I think the issue must be either the same diode or a connection/wiring problem from the diode to the neutral light on the Lt GR/RD wire. Did you plug the diode in the right direction? Polarity matters. To check the diode with an ohmeter you should get some reading if you probe each terminal and no reading if you reverse the probes. (diode unplugged) The ohmeter should react one way as the diode passes current from the meter. It should block current the other way and the meter should not react. Be sure the connections are good, clean and tight at the diode.

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
This was the problem.I replaced the diode. Now all is working. Thank you all.

·
Administrator
58,416 Posts
Thank you Teacher for coming back and reporting the exact find....
that makes this thread much more valuable those that just ask a question, the perp goes off, fixes his bike, and never comes back to the forum.... perfect assholes IMO.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.