Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had some problems fixed on my 83 Aspy that included new tires, new rear bearing, proper inflation of tires and proper pressure in the front forks. I now have a new problem.

With all the suspension properly set, my bike now sits about 1-1 1/2 inches higher. I noticed this when I had to stretch a little further to get my feet on the ground (31" inseam).

The problem is that if there is any kind of downhill slope on the left side of the bike, and I attempt to use the side stand, it feels like she is going to fall over.:eek: I am having to search for a good parking spot that is either completely flat, or with an upslope on the left.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a longer side stand (chrome/poishe aluminum would be nice but not required) that will fit my '83 and provide a longer reach to the ground?:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Make sure that the pivot bolt is not loose, and that the lower frame member is not rusted out and twisted.

Otherwise yes indeed that sidestand can be too short most of the time and too long at times all depending upon the road surface beneath it.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
As Ray said, check the removable lower frame member as they are prone to rusting from the inside out. Pull it and inspect closely. You can get longer side stands, called the Bigfoot longer than stock, then you will have to watch which way the slope is too. I know someone that his bike tipped over on his girlfriend on the right side from being parked on level pad. They were loading for a trip that ended canceled from that.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will check that the frame is not rusted, but I dont think it is. The side stand has no give, it does not wobble, it feels solid.....

It just has a hard time reaching the ground without the bike leaning way over to the left. I am wondering if a PO replaced it with a shorter stand...?

Another thing I did not mention is that the PO put progressives on the rear, so it may be standing a little higher than stock when there is no weight on the bike.

Is "Bigfoot" a name brand or a slang descriptor? (I have not googled it yet).

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
My wife has noticed the same thing with my '83 Aspy since getting new tires and having the proper pressure in the suspension. At first I thought she was just seeing things, but now I'm starting to wonder. How far over are these things supposed to lean when on the side stand and on level ground?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Google
Gl1100 chrome Bigfoot kick stand

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Yes progressive shocks and front springs and more air in them bring the bike up to where it should be.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK.I googled Bigfoot and found the one for the GL1100... with all kinds of disclaimers about not providing measurments.

If anyone has one installed, can you run a tape measure along the stand and give me an idea how long it is?

Thanks

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
You could call Cyclemax or Wingstuff and ask them to get the measurements. I don't have one other than on the 1500.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Hi TC, this is not the best picture to show lean but the ground is level and, the side stand is OEM stock. The bike has Progressive springs in the forks with no air and Progressive 416 shocks with 20 lbs of air in them.

Attachments

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
Lean angle ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.