Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1983 gl1100
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was time for my annual brake fluid flush on the 1983 GL1100 linked brake system and now I’ve very little brake from the foot brake. It’s a linked system that I’ve flushed before and I’m not new to bleeding brakes. (It was working pretty well before this fluid flush gone bad)

I started with the right front caliper and have not gotten past this as I was able to pump about 2 ounces through and then nothing no more fluid can be pushed or pulled through the caliper…… it acts like I have a plugged line. I have a vacuum pump and I can no longer pull anything through the line and the right front caliper is not grabbing/braking at all while the rear is grabbing some.

Any thoughts from those with a 1983 GL1100 with the linked brake system?

The good news is that I have plenty of other bikes to ride.

·
Administrator
28,213 Posts
Sounds to me like the return hole in the master cylinder is plugged or the pedal is not returning all the way up.

Reactions: tpd1749 and limpy45

·
Registered
1983 gl1100
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks and Good thought and I've had my share of bikes with plugged return holes.

Normally, if a return hole is plugged the brakes stick and hold pressure. I'll explore though to rule it out.

·
Registered
2003 Red Goldwing 1800
158 Posts
You may have a flex hose that deteriorated internally, if you can not force fluid through by pumping the master cylinder nor pull it through with vacuum I would look for a collapsed hose.

·
Registered
1983 gl1100
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does behave exactly like a collapsed or plugged hose.

I have also wondered if the proportioning valve can fail in such a way as to cause this problem.

·
Administrator
28,213 Posts
If you can bleed the rear brake normally then a restriction in a line to the front makes sense. If you have the same problem as the front then the problem is as I said earlier.

·
Registered
2003 Red Goldwing 1800
158 Posts
A plugged return hole will not restrict fluid from leaving the master it will only restrict the flow of fluid returning to the master. To find the restriction loosen each connection from the master to the caliper one at a time starting at the master and when the flow stops you found the restriction up stream from the last connection you loosened. Make sure to protect all paint and plastic from the brake fluid.

·
Registered
1983 gl1100
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, that is the plan.

Today, I took one of the other bikes out for a few hundred miles around Florida.

I'll get the messy business of not letting brake fluid ruin the old paint on the 83' wing soon.

·
Administrator
28,213 Posts

·
Registered
1983 gl1100
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not a blocked return hole. In any case the rear bleeds fine.

It will be some time before I dig deeper as this bike will have to wait it's turn behind a couple of my other projects.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts