Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I believe I need to replace the TEMP/FUEL gauges on my 83 Interstate GL1100 (pretty sure they got fried because I didn't replace the 7-volt regulator quick enough and now neither gauge works).

ANYWAY....I've seen some clusters on eBay, but I noticed that MY indicator light on the tach is for my overdrive gear but most (if not all) the ones I've seen on eBay seem to be tied into the rear suspension. It has a label that is marked "Rear Suspension Air Pressure: Warning - Reduce speed to under 50mph when light is on" (see photo).

Does that mean that I can't use that particular set of gauges on my model???

Or would anyone happen to know if it would be OK for me to just remove the TEMP/FUEL gauges from whatever cluster I purchase and put it into my existing cluster?

Inquiring minds want to know! LOL

Rick K.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

didnt know 83 had overdrive.. but the rpm gauge still should work

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

Ok on your 83 that light will come on when you are in fifth gear...regardless of what that little label says. Because that is how your bike is wired.

If you want to take on the delicate task of transferring the temp and fuel gauges from one cluster to another it can be done but is tedious.

So either way you want to go about it, it should work out fine.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

@ notodd: It's really just 5th gear, but I guess that's why they call them "idiot lights"...Honda's way of saying "You can't go any higher, dumb-ass". And I'm not so much interested in the tach because mine does work. It's the TEMP/FUEL gauges that I'd like to see working again.

@ Broke Winger: Thank you. You confirmed my suspicions. I just wanted to be sure that the connectors would/should match up. It does look a lot nicer/cleaner than the one that is currently on my GW, which is why I would HATE to start tearing at it to get just the TEMP/FUEL gauges. It has less miles on it than my odometer, but I can always catch that up with a high-speed drill. ;)

Between those gauges and wanting to replace my brake pads and old rubber brake lines with braided steel (already have the contact from this site for discounted prices) along with a new windshield, my plan is to 'pretty up' this bike over the upcoming winter season. I'm even contemplating having it painted as what I have now is somewhat faded. My wife and my son both think that I should just trade it in on something nicer, but I'm on the fence about that only because I already know THIS bike and its little quirks. It may not have every bell and whistle, but it's mine and it's paid for...

One last question. Regarding brake pads: I bought ceramic pads last March and have put about 5,000 miles on them. I recently found out that the inner pads on both front rotors have worn down considerably... Would I be better off with the sintered broze or organic pads for this bike???

Thanks again for your input and I can hope you forgive the rambling.......

Rick

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

Rick: just throwing this in i have had several problems with my 83 fuel-temp gauge headlight and tail light some of the boys told me about 7 volt reg for the fuel-temp but what all these things turned out being was fuse problems.the fuses were not blown but the connectors top and bottom had a petina i took emery cloth and cleaned them and problems went away mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.