Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay this oneis driving me nuts :?. I have had the trans. cover off 6 times now trying to stop the oil from weeping out the weep hole of my water pump. I had to put in a new water pump, and was very carefull in putting it all back together. I have been replacing the o-ring with larger ones betwween the oil pump and the water pump thinking that this is the only place it could be leaking. The waterpump is the new style with the metal blades. I have rebuilt the old pump (old Style) but have not tryed putting it back in as of yet. The o-rings (between the oil pump and water pump)I have tryed are from the stock ones, up to three times thicker, and to no avail it is actully getting worst. The seal in front of the oil pump has been replaced also each time. Someone out there has got to have the answer PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
imported post

I don't know if this will help or not. I did mine a few months ago got it all finished fired it up and it seemed to be OK, then oil started slowly coming out the weep hole. So I thought I pinched the orings on the waterpump so I went to the dealer and ordered new orings. I took some rides all under 20 miles and put a tray under the bike and it would drop oil out of the weep hole about the size quarter. While I was waiting for the orings it stopped leaking and hasn't leaked since about 1500 miles ago. I don't know why it stoped leaking but I have read that this has happened to other members also maybe the heating cooling cycle.
Good luck with I know it's frustrating :action:

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
imported post

The 3 crush washers under the pump mounting screws...did you replace them when you installed the new pump?

Just a thought...Dave

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

Check and make sure your crankcase breather tube is not pinch or plugged so your not building pressure in the case forcing it out.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Are you talking about the backbearing seal? This is the one you see on the oil pump side of the water pump. :?This is a new water pump.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

There are three places oil can come from: the oil seal which is in the front casing, the crush washers under the three bolts that hold the pump in place and the o ring at the base of the pump. Using bigger o rings is not a good idea.

you need new crushers washers and a new oil seal which don't come with the water pump gasket sets..but should!!!

Attachments

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

I ordered that gasket set from Georgefix on ebay...it had everything, crushwashers and all!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

daveman wrote:
The 3 crush washers under the pump mounting screws...did you replace them when you installed the new pump?

Just a thought...Dave
three places oil can leak.... O-ring on oil side.... seal on oil side.... and then there are those three pesky crush washers

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks for all the in-site, after taking it apart again last night. I found three things that went wrong. Can not believe I didn't notice this from the beginning.But mechanics don't learn always from doing it right, its the miss-takes that builds our experience.

1.Your right bigger o-rings are not the answer for the one between the oil pump and water pump. BAD IDEA!! It pushed the water pump forward enough to rub the impeller into the hose cap. Did not hurt anything was not in long enough to do so. STAY WITH STOCK!!!

2. The oil seal in front of the oil pump has to be installed so the the outer edge of the seal is just below the chanfer so the the cir-clip doesn't eat it up. IT HAS TO BE SEALING THE MACHINE SURFACE ON THE WATER PUMP SHAFT! Mine was to far forward and was not fully sealing on the machine surface of the water pump shaft my cir-clip was just nicking it and messed up the outer sealing edge.

3. The o-ring that seals closest to the oil side, (this is the smaller of the two o-rings that you put on the water pump) the stock o-ring is a little thicker than the o-ringI got with the aftermarket o-ring set I got with the water pump. CASE IN POINT>>>STAY WITH STOCK OEM!! and with out a doubt always replace the crush washers, mine where replaced when I put it in, and I have a new set for when I put this all back together.

I'll find out this weekend if my findings are right I have a complete set of OEMs going in this time and feel pretty good. I want to thank you all for the feed back and what I shouldcheck. Sometimes its the little things that make BIG DIFFERENCES!!!

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
imported post

Good Luck! Look forward to hearing how well it went...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.