Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1983 Goldwing GL1100. I have had the carberators rebuild twice. Changed plug wires, spark plugs gas tank, filter hoses, pet ****..

Problem-Bike starts and runs no problem. At a stand still you can rev the bike up and there is no problem. When you are on it riding it seems to ride fine until I get up around 40 MPH. Then when I go to give it some gas it starts to die out. If I bring the throttle back she will run normal agian. If I keep the throttle at full she would eventually just die out. Losing power. Everyone tells me its starving for fuel, but I have rebuilt or changed everything and I am at a loss

anyone please help !

Thanks

JN

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Sounds like fuel starvation, perhaps the fuel pump or a blocked fuel filter. If the fuel pump isnot giving 100% he bike will idle forever but use petrol faster than the pump can supply when under load.
Try adapting a plastic petrol can and petrol hose and connecting it to the carb feed in hose. Strap the can to the saddle or tank top and ride it and see if it runs better over 40mph, if it does then the fuel pump is faulty. Make sure the hose from the plastic can is on a downward slope so the gravity will fill the carbs. Also make sure the petrol can lid is vented (or just leave it loose so it can vent).

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I have changed the fuel tank , pet ****,lines, filter and had the carberator rebuilt by Honda had it rebuilt twice. What a job. I am going to check the fuel pump next like Jason says above. It seems everyone thinks its fuel and not electric.

Thanks for all your help

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

you might whant to look at testing the coils or mabe the inition sys or even check the timeing out

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

I have worked on a few wings in are shop were they did the same and it and ended up being the electronic ignition

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Float levels are wrong. It's either getting too much or too little gas at WOT.

Simple test. Take it out, whack open the throttle at a taller gear for ~10 seconds, making it bog. Shut off the bike, coast back to your house and check the plugs. Report back with the way they look.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

I see one thing no one has suggested yet and that is a defective gas cap...

Try running the bike with the cap loose and see if it bogs out on you at full throttle..

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

We have the same problem with ours but the other thing is that it kills our battery. It will idle great then we take it for even a 3 mile ride and we lose power it dies and the battery is so dead it wont even run the lights. ANY ideas. Please help. We love our goldwing and just wanna ride.
Thanks
Sally

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
imported post

mine was doing about the same thing. as a easy check try truning the petcock off while riding and see if it run better. easy way to make sure if it is rich or lean. also may want to check the cv slides for gouging from the carb body. mine where gouged and i had to polish them and the inside of the carbs to clear up the problem on mine. also make sure of the float level settings as they will casue it to run rich if set wrong. unless you trust the dealer where you had the work done i would spend the 20$ for a dial micromitor from autozone to recheck the float levels.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

My best guess is Fuel Pump would have been the filter but that was checked... my bike shut down on one cylinder totally.. the screen on the Needle float seat was plugged..with ultra fine ?? stuff.. this came thru the filter or was from the pump just temp a 4psi elect fuel pump and see if that cures it..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.