Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HI,I JUST BOUGHT A 1983 HONDA GL1100 OFF THE INTERNET.IT SHOWS A LITTLE OVER 20,000 MILES BUT LOOKS LIKE IT S GOT 120,000 MILES. WHY DIDN'T HONDA HAVE ONE MORE SET OF NUMBERS WHERE YOU COULD SEE IF IT HAD TURNED OVER IN MILEAGE. I REALLY BELIEVE IT HAS 120,000 INSTEAD OF 20,000 MILE ON BIKE. MOST STATES AFTER 10 YRS DON'T PUT MILEAGE ON TITLES. PROBLEMS: DRIVE TRAIN RATTLES LIKE CRAZY WHEN YOU GIVE IT THE GAS UNDER A LOAD. SMOKES BAD WHEN YOU CRANK IT IF ITS BEEN ON SIDE STAND MORE THAN 2 MINUTES. BRAKES WHERE ALL WORN OUT WHEN I BOUGHT IT. MANY MORE SIGNS I GO INTO.MY FRONT END SHAKES LIKE CRAZY IF I REMOVE MY HANDS FRONT HANDLEBARS. WHAT IT IS'. HELP SOMEBODY!!!!!!! THE STARTER DRAGS LIKE CRAZY ALO. I BELIEVE I GOT TOOK!IF THIS IS THE RIGHT MILEAGE,IT SURE HAS BEEN RODE HARD AND PUT UP WET. another ebay mistake!i feel better now,that i've got it off my chest.ONE OF THE MAIN REASONS I BOUGHT BIKE WAS ITS LOW MILEAGE. IF YOUCAN GIVE ME A IDEA HOW TO STOP SHAKING IN FRONT END I WILL BE HAPPY. THANKS FOR LISTENING TO ME. HOGHIDEMAN

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

It seems you have several problems. Smoking on sidestand is worn valve stem seals. Once the smoke clears after a short ride I think you should forget about that job for a while. The rattling in the engine can be caused by out of balance carburettors.
Lazy starter will need stripping and cleaning at least.
The shaking front end could be caused by any of several possibilities like a worn tyre, bad fork oil, loose steering bearings.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

My eyes are burning and my ears are ringing after reading your post but onto your problem.

Check the tyres for cupping and the steering head bearings for play, the same goes for swingarm and wheel bearings.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I realy don't think you are suposed to take your hands off the bar's of a goldwing it's not a cruser type bike.
Most all the problems your bike is having points to it having low milage and parked for a long while. Did you get taken. depends on what you payed. bike seems to be what was advertized
Wilf

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I realy don't think you are suposed to take your hands off the bar's of a goldwing it's not a cruser type bike.
Most all the problems your bike is having points to it having low milage and parked for a long while. Did you get taken. depends on what you payed. bike seems to be what was advertized
Wilf

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

yes your not suppose to but mine does not shake at any speed once I fixed everything.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
imported post

I bought an 83 aspy that had under 30,000 on it a while back and trust me many of the things you are experiencing are normal. After all you have to remember they do have a lot of years on them even if few miles. yep the smoking after being on the side stand is pretty typical and is usually valve seals. if the carbs are not right they sure will make some noises rattles and clunks and more, unfortunately low miles means seldom run and that is the enemy of wings. you didn't say what model yours is but there are a number of possible causes for wobble, first is tires, actually a common one. steering head bearings out of adjustment or worn will do that too. 83 also had anti dive on the front forks and if low on oil or gummed up on either side will give you wobble and more. Cheer up though with a bit of work you may have a great machine, mine turned out that way and it had been sitting outside under a tarp for 7 years. Make sure you clean and lube all the moving parts on brakes where needed and definitley pull that rear wheel and put moly paste on those splines. ther e are some great post on here to list the things you need to do to put one back in good shape.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I think with a little bit of work (ok, a lot, but it will be fun) you will have a good machine that will last a long time. Most of those symptoms I have seen on here in other bikes that sat somewhere. There's plenty of good advise above my post so I don't need to repeat it. :) good luck

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

your not supposed to let go of the handle bars its kinda dangerous lol

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

yep--- the guys have covered it. time to do a bit of maintenance and get your hands dirty.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

I'll chime in for the form :)

Wobbly steering is worn stem bearing, tires (cupping, low pressure, worn) or even bent frame, loose swingarm.

Rattle can be bad carb synchronisation, bad main bearings or primary chain rattle.

Smoke is definately valve stem seals.

(Sorry about this) 120,000 mls sounds nearer the mark.

Best thing to do is lay her up this season, get hold of a workshop manual, start at the front and work towards the back. You're bound to find a few more issues but you'll certainly get to know your bike.

Manual can be got here (276 MB)........

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11503274/bla-bla-bla-%20Manual.pdf

Don't worry about the name of the file..... there's a reason for that.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

One other thing to add. If your bike has a fering, there is supposed to be a damper weight attached to the forks where the headlight would normally be if the fering were not there.

Take a look over the handlebars and down the front of the forks. Is there a large rectangular block clamped to the forks about headlight high? If you see a tangle of wires hanging out, then the weight is missing as it also acts as a cover for the electrical connections box.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

My 1500 just turned 120,000 the other day, and has none of your symptoms. I would rather have a high mileage, but well maintained Gold Wing over a low mileage bike that had sat unused in someones garage for the past 10 years. I would suggest steering head bearing adjustment to get rid of wobble. You don`t mention how worn the tires are, or what you have for tire pressure. Could be another area to check.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.