Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I need to replace a starter on a 1983 goldwing aspencadei have a book on 1984 is it the same for 1983 on the 84 it says to remove the engine do you have to remove the engine on the 1983.does anyone know any short cutes.

oldbiker

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

you do not have to remove the engine ,I have never been able to replace one without at least taking loose the headers and tilting them down a little, may be easier to remove the left side exhaust, I have done it both ways but now I just take loose the header nuts and tilt them down a bit , remove shifter, remove two bolts holding starter ,tap it backwards with a hammer and it will roll out. To replace it is a little more difficult but not much. Before replaceing put your finger in the hole and make sure the gear and chain are in place and just carefully put it back in ,you have to make sure the splines on the starter shaft line up with the teeth inside the gear, tap it in with a hammer and replace the bolts and wire then reattach the shifter and exhaust. Someone told me they could do it without touching the exhaust but I would like to see that.:coollep:

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

One last tidbit ,do this on a level surface so the chain and starter gear inside the motor do not hang to the side and remain centered.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks picasso this bile is a friends and it has a lotof problems just trying to get it running to see if it is worth saving.Itonly has 58,000 on it.also need calabers too or rebuielt one any one know wheri can get old wing parts CHEEP!!

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

I have the exact same bike and I only needed to take off the shifter lever. it's a tight fit but it will come out.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

I've done it also without taking the exhaust off on my 83 Interstate. I usually leave the bike on side stand though to keep the gear on the chain.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

Yes, leave on the side stand, the starter chain will line up perfectly that way, tie the shift lever "up", use a swivel extension and quarter inch drive to remove the front screw.

When putting in the new starter, put some grease on the oring.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

GREAT ADVICE GUYS THANKS A LOT FOR ALL YOUR HELP THIS SITE IS GREAT!!! BEEN AWILE SENCE I HAVE VISTED THE SITE AND ITS GREAT TO BE BACK!

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:You do not need to remove anything for access for removal or installation of the starter on an '83 GoldWing. I replaced the starter on my '83 Interstate early 2008 and did the removal with the bike on the center stand and for installation of the new starter I put the bike on the side stand to center the starter gear. Below is a thread from early '08 which has a lot of info which might be helpful to you.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=37079&forum_id=1&jump_to=371816

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I must not have the right tools causeI can't get a strait fit on the bottom bolt on the starter without pushing the headers out of the way.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

picasso wrote:
I must not have the right tools causeI can't get a strait fit on the bottom bolt on the starter without pushing the headers out of the way.
:waving:As stated in the "14th post"of the thread from Jan 2008 I used a 1/4 drive universal with an extension and I believe it takes an 8mm socket. There is no need to remove anything for access to remove the starter. Check out the link to the 2008 thread and I believe it will be of some help to you.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

thanks guys but i found out that the bike is a 1984 does that make a deffrence.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I would think not, unless the exhaust is more tight. The front bolt required a universal on the socket. I am guessing the 1200 would be similar.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

Now I know why I have not been able to remove said starter w/o lowering the headers,I do not have an extension that works with my 8mm socket without an adapter!!! That extra inch is what you need to get to the botton bolt!!! HA! Need a ratchet with a smaller drive. Make note to self.......get 1/4 inch drive ratchet.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

picasso wrote:
Now I know why I have not been able to remove said starter w/o lowering the headers,I do not have an extension that works with my 8mm socket without an adapter!!! That extra inch is what you need to get to the botton bolt!!! HA! Need a ratchet with a smaller drive. Make note to self.......get 1/4 inch drive ratchet.
I bought a 1/4 drive 8mm flex socket plus a 1/4 drive extension with a wobble end.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

great tips guys looks like i neen to go tool shoping.wife will like that ha! Ha!

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

oldbiker wrote:
thanks guys but i found out that the bike is a 1984 does that make a deffrence.
:waving:I've noticed on the GL1200 that access to remove the starter isn't as good as it is on the GL1100.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

just returned to the forum...have re&re'd GL1100A starters many x's without touching the exhaust( i know, big deal, so what)

safe riding

8thdwarf

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.