Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

In July 2011, I purchased the bike (which had only 76,000 miles on it), from a retired millwright near Baltimore, MD. He was a "junk collector" type of guy who was "cleaning up" his back yard. He had let the bike sit outside for several years, supposedly under a cover, but the bike still needed extensive work. After I got the bike back to my shop, I realized why the seller loaded it onto my trailer using a bobcat. The bike would not even roll because, both wheels were locked up (from rusted brakes) AND the engine was locked up! I spent several hours cleaning the bike (...used a pressure washer), installed a new (AGM) battery and to my surprise, all the lights worked, but I only got a "click" from the starter. The seller had told me that the bike was "running" when he parked it (years ago). I then tried to turn the engine over with a wrench on the crankshaft, still no dice. I then pulled the cylinder heads and found that the #4 piston was rusted to its' cylinder. For some reason only that cylinder was affected by rust. There was no rust in any of the other cylinders! Over the next several DAYS, I had to use a lot of elbow grease, a sledge hammer, gallons of WD-40 & even an oxyacetylene torch, but I eventually got the crankshaft to spin freely. I was really NOT in the mood to pull the engine out of this BIG BEAST! I found insect & rodent nests in many of the crevices in the bike. They really LOVED the air filter housing! The fuel tank had some really NASTY black, gooey stuff in it. I got some instructions from Randakk on how to clean it. I had to unclog the fuel lines inside the tank. I used .062" diameter piano wire and aerosol brake cleaner to clean out the clogged flexible brake lines. I've made 3 special tools so far. 2 for cleaning out the bore of each brake master cylinder (front & rear). A modified ½" drive 30mm socket for removing the lock nut on the left-side of the swing arm. I think the OEM tool costs like $65.00. I paid $7.00 for materials. I will publish dimensioned drawings of the tools if desired by members (I once worked as a tool designer). I lapped the valves for the heads. They are otherwise usable. I plan on doing a carb rebuild in the near future (BIG JOB). My only constraint is cash these days. I have 52 digital pics of the restoration job so far. I have found MANY good resources on the Web! I expect this bike to run like a "Swiss Watch" when I'm through with it! :)

To be continued...

Tim Barber

12/17/11

Barber's Workshop

 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
imported post

sure is nice to see another old gal put back on the road. good luck with her. i am glad i spent the time to get mine back on the road after a 4 1/2 year sitting beside a garge thing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,276 Posts
imported post

Another interesting thread, can't wait to see the rest of the story. BTW, I've never seen engine covers like that, but I like them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,076 Posts
imported post

The engine covers on the bike are aftermarket and when they do come up for sale . Ive seen them go for $200 and up . Have fun rebuilding the bike the satisfaction of knowing you got it running again is great
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
133 Posts
imported post

I would be extremely interested to see more pics as you go along (or even when it's finished) as I also have an 83 1100 Interstate. Mine was no where NEAR in the shape yours is and I had a great 1st season this year with it.

Can't wait for next season as I just got a bunch of new toys for mine this Christmas and I'm working on cleaning her up over the winter storage time (surface rust mostly) and adding some lighting (L.E.D.)

Good luck with the project and keep us in the loop!
:cheers:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Following is a pic of the cylinder heads (camside) before & after cleaning. I used various methods including: wire brushes, gasket scrapers, aerosol carb cleaner, brake cleaner, gasket remover, razor blades, 150 psi of compressed air, etc...
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Following is a pic of the cylinder heads (combustion chamber-side) before & after cleaning. I also used various cleaning methods including: wire brushes, gasket scrapers, aerosol carb cleaner, brake cleaner, gasket remover, razor blades, pressure washer & 150 psi of compressed air.
 

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top