Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi,i need more advise on my 1100? i just replaced both heads.new gaskets and seals. what could make it chatter or make the lugging down? thanks in advance hoghideman

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
imported post

Could need carbs synced, or slow speed jets in carbs are clogged.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Goatman is correct.You can try balancing the carbs but if not sucessful, you need to remove the slow and main jets. 82 and 83 GL1100 slow jets screw out but the 80 and 81 are press fit which can be a bitch to pull out. Clean just the jets as most carb cleaners eat rubber parts.

The timing is electronic; either works or not at all. I doubt this is your problem but maybe somebody might disa
gree.

If the slow jets are clogged, you won't be able to balance the carbs. You end up adjusting to the main jets and the engine will race and not return to idle easily.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

When you say "under load" do you mean when you're pulling away from a stop sign or a light, reason I ask is because older Goldwings all have some wear on the primary chain and if you don't give it a reasonable handfull of thottle away from such obstacles it can seem to bog down with chain slap and make the kind of noise you're describing, try giving it more gas under those circumstances, and if it goes away good luck to you, it fixed it for me and a whole lot cheaper than all that carb work.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

hoghideman wrote:
hi,i need more advise on my 1100? i just replaced both heads.new gaskets and seals. what could make it chatter or make the lugging down? thanks in advance hoghideman
How was it running before the new head gaskets? I'd check the compression to see if all cylinders are reasonable and well balanced in psi first. Assuming that's okay check the valve lash to make sure the intakes are set properly. Is your vacuum advance hooked up to the #3 carb? If you have a timing light it wouldn't hurt to check the timing through the timing hole at the left rear of the engine. A glass timing plug helps with that. We have one in our loaner tools you can borrow. A look at the ignition wouldn't hurt either to make sure the plug gaps are set and clean and the spark plug wires are plugged in solidly.

If all that checks out I'd try a wee bit of choke and see if that made things better or worse. If it got better it would be an indication the carb(s) were too lean or the accelerator pump wasn't working. Only when everything else is checked out is it worth checking the carburetor sync. Badly sync'ed carbs can cause some real nasty sounding knocking when starting out or accelerating.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

I would bet the bike was running just fine when you had to replace the leaking heads, I would say to check to see if your belts are still on their marks, then check the valves again..You didn't remove the carbs did you? It was running fine before wasn't it, that's something we gotta know because it could be many things. As mentioned above..

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

1. check timing marks on the cams/belts.
2. check valve clearances.
3. check carb/manifold seals and screws for leaks.
4. balance carbs (mine runs a dog without, smooth as a magic carpet with).
5. check vacumm advance is connected :)
6. clean the carbs and re-set jets etc (have to do the re-balance again after).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.