Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1983 honda goldwing interstate. Sat for 2 years inside. New battery fully charged. Removed starter. Spins freely with battery. Mounted it just clicks and smokes the positive cable. Have cleaned the connection to bright metal. I assume the engine is froze? Have filled cylinders with blaster rust removal. Is it possible to turn the engine by hand? On center stand and i can turn back wheel easily in any gear? Oil has been drained but haven't added oil yet. Is this a safety feature and won't allow engine to turn?

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you can turn the rear wheel in gear with the clutch out then you are turning the engine over, I imagine you have all the plugs out, if in doubt have you or a helper hold a screwdriver in one of the spark plug holes and as you turn the rear tire in gear you should see the screwdriver move in and out as the piston goes up and down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. Yes. Plugs are out. If it is free, why would the starter not turn it over and just smoke at the positive post connection? Starter out of the engine it spins freely. Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Starter spins free unloaded you might have a problem with the alignment of the starter to engine gear. If you are able you might want to tear the starter down and check the brushes and for dirt. These starters have been known to cause problems when they become excessively dirty. Also check the bearings if the bearings are worn the armature while want to shift under load and will cause a problem like you descibed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try that. Remounting it, it did slide right in. So figured the alignment was fine. As soon as I could I tried to at least turn over the engine. It had this issue then. So possible the brushes, etc do need cleaning, not allowing a strong enough spin. I appreciate your help.

·
Administrator
27,758 Posts
Take the plug out of the back of the stator case & turn the bolt in there clockwise only to see if the engine is free. 12mm socket.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Take the plug out of the back of the stator case & turn the bolt in there clockwise only to see if the engine is free. 12mm socket.
Does not turn in neutral. I have been putting rust blaster in the cylinders for the last 4 days. Will keep doing as I read for1-2 weeks. Do I only attempt a clockwise turn as viewed from the back of the bike, can the turn be rocked back and forth at all and how much pressure can be used in a clockwise motion. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,491 Posts
My brother once recovered an old Chevy 327 engine block that had been sitting under a rain spout for many years with the carbs off of the intake manifold.
he put it in his Engine Stand and squirted ATF and other stuff into the Cylinders every few days, rolled it over and squirted the over side,

took him several weeks before he was able to get the crankshaft to move at all.
Once it did, he rolled the crankshaft back 'n forth a bit at a time, adding more rust solvent, until it finally turned over 360*

then he installed a Starter motor, and ran it until the starter motor was getting too hot.

Put it all together, and put it in his car. drove it for years after that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My brother once recovered an old Chevy 327 engine block that had been sitting under a rain spout for many years with the carbs off of the intake manifold.
he put it in his Engine Stand and squirted ATF and other stuff into the Cylinders every few days, rolled it over and squirted the over side,

took him several weeks before he was able to get the crankshaft to move at all.
Once it did, he rolled the crankshaft back 'n forth a bit at a time, adding more rust solvent, until it finally turned over 360*

then he installed a Starter motor, and ran it until the starter motor was getting too hot.

Put it all together, and put it in his car. drove it for years after that.
Thank you. I'm hoping for a like outcome.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you looked at cam belts? Maybe a valve hitting a piston?
gumbyredd
It was running when put in the garage. Owner had cancer and couldn't ride. Passed away. Sat for 2 years. I have not taken the engine apart. Hope not to. Using rust blaster in each cylinder for a couple weeks. Can't turn the engine over. Frozen.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
944 Posts
Does not turn in neutral. I have been putting rust blaster in the cylinders for the last 4 days. Will keep doing as I read for1-2 weeks. Do I only attempt a clockwise turn as viewed from the back of the bike, can the turn be rocked back and forth at all and how much pressure can be used in a clockwise motion. Thanks in advance.
You can turn that bolt backward, but not with all that much torque, you'll loosen the bolt.

If you really want to put some good torque on the crankshaft and rock it back and forth, your best bet is to remove the timing belt covers and put your wrench directly on the crankshaft pulley bolt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can turn that bolt backward, but not with all that much torque, you'll loosen the bolt.

If you really want to put some good torque on the crankshaft and rock it back and forth, your best bet is to remove the timing belt covers and put your wrench directly on the crankshaft pulley bolt.
Yeah. Can't turn in the back. Took the side cowlings off to get to the timing belt cover off. Looks like have to take the radiator at least unbolted to get the cover off. Have to be a weekend job. Till then will keep the rust treatment going in. I can fill up the pistons on the left and the forward one on the right. The rear on the right pretty much seems to leak right out to the oil pan. Hope thats not a sign of horrible things to come.....

·
Administrator
27,758 Posts
Yeah. Can't turn in the back. Took the side cowlings off to get to the timing belt cover off. Looks like have to take the radiator at least unbolted to get the cover off. Have to be a weekend job. Till then will keep the rust treatment going in. I can fill up the pistons on the left and the forward one on the right. The rear on the right pretty much seems to leak right out to the oil pan. Hope thats not a sign of horrible things to come.....
Probably leaking into the exhaust, an open exhaust valve, not the oil sump.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Probably leaking into the exhaust, an open exhaust valve, not the oil sump.
and yes. It did leak out there also. But.... no oil or filter in. When I take out the oil drain plug, a lot of the rust stuff comes out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts