Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Dave here. I’m new to the forum. I have the opportunity to buy a 1983 Goldwing Interstate w 43,000 miles on it. It has sat for 2years. I haven’t seen the bike yet but fotos look really good.

my question is this: what would a brake overhaul cost at a reputable shop? What would a carb clean/sync valve adjust cost?

im on a budget but I gotta get back on a big bike and loved the one I purchased new in 1983.

appreciate any help
Thanks,
Dave

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,043 Posts
Dave, first of all welcome to the forum. Most of the people on this forum do their own work. Unless you have a lot of money, classic bikes are not for someone who pays to have the work done for them. Many bike shops will not even work on older bikes. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it is just the truth. I'm working through getting the third bike back on the road. My best comparison to your bike is my '85 GL1200I. In total I spent $3600 bringing it back to life. I spent at least that much on my '72 CB450 and I have no idea what I have spent on the '81 GL1100 Standard.
There are two choices, first find a good rider and just go enjoy it. Second buy this bike and fix it yourself. You will get all the help you need on this forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave, first of all welcome to the forum. Most of the people on this forum do their own work. Unless you have a lot of money, classic bikes are not for someone who pays to have the work done for them. Many bike shops will not even work on older bikes. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it is just the truth. I'm working through getting the third bike back on the road. My best comparison to your bike is my '85 GL1200I. In total I spent $3600 bringing it back to life. I spent at least that much on my '72 CB450 and I have no idea what I have spent on the '81 GL1100 Standard.
There are two choices, first find a good rider and just go enjoy it. Second buy this bike and fix it yourself. You will get all the help you need on this forum.
Thanks for the welcome and the reply. I am going to go check out the bike. The current owner will deliver it to my home 60miles away so getting the brakes done before I ride it home isn’t a factor.
The cost of the brake rebuild kits is very reasonable. The carbs will be a bit more involved I believe but possible to do.
Dave

·
Administrator
25,037 Posts
It would be hard to give an estimate site unseen. The carbs will almost for sure need cleaned, Brakes could be simple to major. Don't know where you are but I work cheap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts