Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have been tempted to buy another 1100, this time a 1983 Aspencade at about 60,000 Km at a price of $5000.

I researched the bike and found prices around my area in the 2000-3500 dollar range. Can I get your opinions?

The seller claims the bike to be fit with zero problems other than all the extra lights can not be on at the same time...but at $5000 is there something I do not understand that makes this bike worth that asking price?

I have only seen pictures, the bike is 2 hours away and "Takes nothing to certify".

I have rebuilt my existing 1100 but really do not want to do a rebuild again but the asking price is a fixture in the mind of the seller and the price has dropped from $5200 asking.

Your thought and opinions are most welcome, what am I missing?

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

I'm sure that it could be a nice bike in all, but unless it's GOLD plated the price is to high........keep hunting!
If you do go to look at it, check the out put of the stator. With all the lights you say it has it could have a problem.......maybe!

It could also be that this gent is attached to the bike and all the work he has done to it. May be he is on the fence about selling it, but if someone where to his price this is what he would sell it for.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

In March of last year I bought an 1985 GL1200A (Aspencade) for $3500 (started at $4500 and went down from there) with 120K kilometres and at that time I saw deals in Ontario that weren't available in Nova Scotia. Looking around now I see them even cheaper as it is the fall and people in this area don't have money for toys. I'd say keep looking. FYI there's a quick way to search for all Goldwings in Ontario (on Kijiji) very easly.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

Paid $3500 for my loaded (no extra lights) '83 Aspy 3 years ago, with slightly higher
mileage (kilometreage). Was a top price at the time for a bike that had been
owned/maintained by a Honda mechanic. The head gaskets and belts are the only
work required since then. Probably worth $2500+ these days at 85,000 kms.

Out west newer 1200's that look like they came off the showroom floor are going for
less than $5000.00.

(sigh) When everything's working the '83 is one of my top favourite bikes though.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the replies! Further research proves that my thoughts about an Aspy 83 vintage correct and pricing is up and down, but $5000 is high as suspected. I am taking the advice given and looking...some of the bikes are very nice.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
imported post

Mr. Knapp remember the best time, price wise to buy a bike is when there is snow on the ground !

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

For example $2000 for 83 GL1100A with 100K KMs in St. Catherines

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-touring-1983-Honda-Gold-Wing-Aspencade-W0QQAdIdZ289160558

The search I used is here' you can try different variations as some spell it Gold Wing and/or they don't list the displacement :(

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/f-1100-goldwing-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-W0QQCatIdZ30QQKeywordZ1100Q20goldwingQQisSearchFormZtrue

Depending on how far you want to travel you could search Quebec as well :)

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
imported post

Sorry dude but there ain't a GL1100 anywhere in the world that will sell for $5000, I'm sure a dealer will ask for that amount but you need to pass him by also, my '82 is at the pinnacle of what this page and ebay can get it, I have spent thousands over the years getting it the way and it is and it runs great, but that's my personal preference between paying a note and sweat equity, I don't expect to rake it back from someone like you, though there are a lot of people that will.

Y'know what, it will never be worth more to sell than about $1500 or so, but I accept that, hell I bought a donor bike 10 years ago for $500 and 9 months of blood, sweat and tears later I had a damned good bike and I've only improved on it since, there ain't no easy route to a 30 year old motorcycle even if it's a Honda but if that's what you need, then you need to look elsewhere, sooner or later that guy or someone else will come aroundwith what you really need!!

Keep on lookin' fella, On here's your best bet!!

OK, here's my edit,

Damn! I can't believe that all this time, I was talking to a Senior Guru about this, how does that work? C'mon [suP][suB]redbaron[/suB][/suP], you know me, give me a clue on this!

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

I contemplated a bike that was in pristine condition.. The only problem was he wanted $2000 more then any comp or blue-book...but it was a very nice bike. I made a reasonable fair offer... he didn't even want to counter my offer...man..he did me the biggest favor..I wanted to thank him.
I went and found the bike of my dreams for $2000 less, but it was such a better deal..nicer bike, more options, more equipment, etc... not to mention it came with a matching trailer, service manual, covers(yes 3 of them)..and stuff to the tune of about $400 that he hadn't even installed.
Just be patient... theres a bike out there waiting for you.. and you'll know when its right.. and you probably won't have to post a question here... you'll post: "I got it!!!" It happens all the time in GoldWing world. :)

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

All the info coming in is, as expected and thank you very much. Yes I have an idea of what these 30 year old bikes are worth, but my idea as a buyer is far different from the seller. Attachment is expensive if followed through. The truth is very much stretched and facts are often mislead.

I am looking and with eyes wide open and being reinforced by the family is critical and comforting.

I have written to a lot of would be sellers, gave them my best shot without the advantage going to either of us. It is early yet since there is no white stuff on the ground, and the same ads are about with more becoming evident every day.

Keep the advice coming, I need to hear you and thanks for taking the time.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

If you are looking for a specific bike it is harder to find a deal. If your open there are lots of deals. I cannot imagine a 1100 bringing in 5000 anywhere unless it has some history. owned by micheal jackson or elvis's last bike.

My first wing 79 standard paid 1000 overpaid but was a goldwing nub and tought oldwings where turnkey and worth something.

second wing 80 1100 interestse 350 dollars good buy stripped it to run naked.

third wing 90 1500 $2000. Good deal I think. my daly rider its loaded but highmileage runs super it was and is turnkey

Wilf

I currently ride all three when i have time

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

I paid $2300 for a nice 84 Aspencade. Paint was pretty good overall and only showed signs of wear on the driver seat a little. $2500 is about it for an 83 if it's excellent condition and runs sweet.(imo) If it's been sitting for a long time, it don't matter how nice it looks, you'll be sinking $$$ into it. These bikes sitting in the garage is the worst thing there is for them.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

ARKnapp ., cool your jetts , even in Canada and low kliks such as these , you should be able to find another that will stretch your jeans.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Machinehead, my jetts are very cool they have to be. Many advertise their Aspencade, I respond and then nothing....if I was any cooler I'd be a block of ice.

But I am listening to all of you, taking your advice and with cooled jets, looking and digesting. You are right there seems to be a big assortment of these bikes at really different asking prices.

I figure that I have about a month left before winterizing my 80 GL and maybe these sellers will want to deal or not.

I am in no hurry and you never know what is coming along, thanks I'll keep cool.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

That's what I found even last March, some people were responsive and reasonable price wise (but not many) and most were either not responsive and/or not reasonable :( I think as the costs/hassle to winterize their bikes sets in you will have people willing to deal :) I think I got mine as the gentleman was moving, had a newer bike and just needed to get it sold but I also lucked out I think as early Spring is not usuallythe best time price wise.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

What's this 'winterizing' of which you speak?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Gido, I see your in the "Sunshine coast", well I'm in the mid area away from the Sunshine and closer to the snow area. With the snow comes cold and the not so fun wind chill which I must confess I do not like, the bike does not like, the tire do not like soooooo
it's off to bed for the duration of w i n t e r .

The coldest I have been is after a ride in Winter, it took days for me to warm back up. I an now a confirmed chicken and love the warmth of summer.

No amount of chaps, leather jackets, long johns, hippo gloves can make winter riding as pleasant as the summer breezes...

....let the warmth of a summer breeze with the heat of my engine play in my play pen forever.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Must be a GWRRA member.
Reading the For Sale section on the GWRRA board, you would think every one of them had appreciated significantly since new.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.