Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1983 GL1100I, the dealer ordered rear brake piston seals for me and when I got them in they were too small. I went to bikebandit.com and crossed referenced them there and they called for the same part as the dealer got for me. The new ones have a 25mm ID and the ones off my bike have a 32mm ID. It is possible that the caliper was replaced prior to my buying the bike. Anyone have any ideas what the 32mm might be off of so I can get the right seals and new pistons also? Thank for your help.

-Mark

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the club! The 83I seems to be the year they played around. If yours is like mine, the front two calipers have different sized pistons, and the rear is the same size as one of the front ones. Oddly, none of the dealers I went to knew that little fact. Anyway, if memory serves, what you need is a set of seals for the front piston on the left side.

I *THINK* what you need are these:

45109-166-006 dust seal
45209-166-006 piston seal

The "166" May be referred to as "GE2".

Keep us informed!

Jack

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

I can speak from experience with the '83 brakecalipers!

I believe this was the first year of the unified braking system and when I first tried to get a full set of piston seals for all threecalipers I ran into all sorts of difficulties.

My Honda dealer told me that the independent front left caliper had the same size pistons as the rear brake, and the linked front right caliper had smallerpistons. When I dismantled them, I found that all three were a different size, and I had no seal to fit the independent front left caliper. Eventually, I discovered that thisis the same size as the '82 which did not have unified brakes (and both frontcalipers were the same size).

None of this is on the online parts fiches or the Honda dealers' fiches!

To the best of my knowledge the Honda part numbers are:-

Rear brake 45109-MA7-006 (approx 33mm diameter)

Front right (integrated with rear) 45109-GE2-006 (approx 25mm diameter)

Front left (hand lever operated) 45109-166-006 (approx 30mm diameter)

(Unless, of course my PO exchanged the calipers for non-standard sizes !!!!)

Gilbert

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
imported post

I forgot...the pistons should be part number:

45107-MA7-006

Jack

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Wow! Great feedback. Sure sounds like I'm in for a great time with caliper rebuilds. I really appreciate your extremely helpful input. Blessings to all!

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
imported post

It's really not that hard. The only trouble is if there's enough crud on the piston to make it hard to remove. Re-assembly is a breeze...heck, it's even fun!

Jack

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hi Jack,

I just checked, those are the part numbers that the dealer ordered for me (with the GE2) and they are too small (about 25mm). Thanks for your feedback though.

-Mark

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Gilbert,

Sounds like great info, I will call the dealer tomorrow (if they're open) and see if they can order me the 33mm set.Thanks again.

-Mark

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

LOL,

Come have some fun here, I'll let ya! :goofygrin:

Fortunately I have them apart and cleaned up already, just can't put them back together till I get the right sized seals.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hi Gilbert,

Called my dealer today and explained what you said, she went through her books and found the part numbers you spec'd, they crossed over to a 1984 GL1200 Interstate. She checked her stock and had them on hand. To make a long story short, it appears you were right on the mark! I got the parts home and my scoot is back together and doing great. She said you really did your homework on that one. Just wanted to pass this along and say thanks again to you and Jack for your feedback. Sure made the job a whole lot easier. Blessings!

-Mark

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I've always wondered just how close the '83 and '84 brake systems were to each other. I know the front master cylinder is different...

Raymond

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Nice one Mark, that's good to know about the GL1200 seals & pistons fitting the late model 1100. :waving:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.