Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a new to me 1983 Goldwing Standard. The shock pressure indicator light is on and the bike rode poorly so I refilled the shocks with oil - they were low. The light is still on so now I am looking for something electrical. I have a Clymer manual which doesn't tell me much about the 83. I see nothing electrical on my rear shock set-up. I have two shocks, two hoses and a three way fill valve - no wires. Did someone take something off? Am I missing something? Where do I go from here?document.write('/forums/images/emoticons/confused.gif');

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Does your speedo go to 150 mph? Does your tach have an OD light in it?

If not, then you don't have '83 gauges. The Air Pressure light was replaced on the '83 model with an Overdrive light (purple) on the tach.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Clean up the connect point on the air valve under the side right side cover..that could be the problem. but what Sam said above too!

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the gages could have come off an '82 Aspencade (which has analog guages and on-board air compressor).. the '83 standard doesn't have that.. it should be an OD indicator (when in 5th gear) so maybe it could be made to work that way.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

If it is a red light in the tachometer it is a low air pressure warning for the rear shocks. Is there a warning on the tachometer saying not drive over 50mph if the light is on? The sensor is behind the right hand cover, and behind where you add air to the shocks.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Yes, Speedo goes to 150 but it has no OD indicator just a shock sensor. Ok, I finally got a picture of what it should look like. My three way connector that the air hoses go into has no electrical connection. I don't even see where the wires would connect. I would guess duh it has been altered. I am just goijng to take the indicator light out of speedo. Not sure what else to do_Other ideas?

·
Administrator
26,582 Posts
imported post

It must have an 82 instrument cluster if it is a suspension pressure light and not an OD light but with no pressure switch it should not have a control unit for it either (83s do not). I wonder if the OD light wire might be grounded making the light stay on, it uses the same light just labeled different and a different color lens on 83s.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

Not trying to steal, but my 81 std red low pressure light has been coming on at high speed. Do I really have air pump on board?

·
Administrator
26,582 Posts
imported post

No you do not have a pump, only the manual air valve under the right side cover.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thank you everybody but let me see if I got this straight. My title says I have an 83 and it has no drain valve for front shocks. But the fact that I have a low shock pressure indicator is weird. Did 83's just have the three way hook up with no wires for shock pressure? So if my pressure light is on it means that the problem is with the overdrive light? Is that a problem if I disconnect?

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Like Dave and I said, if it is labeled anything to do with air, you have an '82 Aspencade instrument cluster on your '83 standard..

If your standard has the OD switch (inside the front cover) you should be able to make it work like an OD light..

If the light is labeled OD, everything installed may correct except you will have to determine why the light stays on.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Does your tachometer (the round gauge on the right side....) have an OD light on it?

Are you 100% sure you have an '83 bike, and not an '82?

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Sam.. he has the light but apparently it is marked as an air pressure indicator light like the '82 Aspencade, not like the OD light of the '83s.. that is why I think he has the gage cluster of an '82 Aspencade

The OD switch, like I said, would be inside the front cover of the engine/transmission.. what I am not sure of is whether the std had that switch, but I suspect it does.. wouldn't make sense to make the std different than the interstate.. there should bea a wire comming out of a grommet on the front cover..

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

all the 83 had the OD lite in the tach head. may have to check on the engine number to be sure its a 83 engine to have this feature.

aspencade had it in the gage cluster display.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

This might help.. 82 Aspencade did not have the LCD display, that started in 1983. Below shows the '82 Aspencade compared to the '83 standard and interstate Tach.. (both pictures came from ebay on items currently for sale)

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.